Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Boards...how, when, & who are the fly swaps (Salmon/Steelhead) handled for all of you...

Also, any opions on the Tioga Magnum (12LA) as a spey reel.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Anadromous...

I am some biased as I sell them but I think the Tioga 12LA makes a great spey reel for lines up to the mid length heads. As to the fly swaps I haven't noticed any lately. Check the steelhead fly section just above the "Spey Clave". Take care, MJC

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

Swaps are announced irregularly, usually on the Archive of Salmon & Steelhed Flies under The Salmon and Steelhead Legacy.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
If you want to do a swap, make an announcement in the appropriate fly area and make an announcement under the general topics too to let folks know about the swap.

The person who wants the swap is the swap meister and is responsible for specifyfing the type of flies for the swap, the number of participants, collect and keep the list of participants, inform the participants of progress, have all the flies sent to him, date they must be physically in his possession, and he must then send the flies to each of the participants. So if you want to do a swap, go for it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tioga Magnums

MJC,

I am new to spey casting/ fishing so how would a person benefit from a mid length head, long belly, or any other combination of line types.

Alittle back ground, I just bought a TFO 14' 9wt. and a Rio W/C w/ tips...I am looking into the Big Boy tips and TF14 by rio as well but thats for another forum...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Suggest

getting some good instruction first. That should give you a jump-start on the learning curve and avoid bad habits that you have to unlearn. You should have a chance, as a part of the instruction, to try the WC and midspey lengths. I prefer the midspey for most of my fishing, as you can cover most of the water needed without shooting line, but can do that when needed. It also teaches good technique to prepare you for long belly lines, if you ever desire that.

For sinking work I like a Skagit type head. This is also my preference, when stripping, for salmon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts