Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had the opportunity to get a crack at a large private estate of fly tying stuff. If you've never done it, it's a little bit spooky, for me anyway. Getting a good deal on something that obviously was a passion for a fellow fly tyer brings feelings of guilt and shame.
Anyhow, among the stuff I searched through, I came across a small box labeled " gut " upon inspection, what I found were individual, sealed packets of medical suture material that looked very old. There were also some remnants of material that had been braided and looked really good. I've never heard of this in the fly tying world and just thoughtq I'd share the experience and see if anyone else out there has heard of this.
I picked up quite a few really nice materials, I hope that guilty feeling wears off soon.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That vintage "catgut" suture material goes for a pretty penny on the auction site, most it seems is expensive to ship out of the UK! You scored!! No shame in that, I'm sure the guy woulda preferred it go to a serious tyer that would use it accordingly, rather than an uninterested family member that would auction it off online. Post some pics of the flies when done.

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Good find whatever it is ;)

I just started using gut loops on my ties and find Fireline Crystal 20lb to be perfect for the job.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That vintage "catgut" suture material goes for a pretty penny on the auction site, most it seems is expensive to ship out of the UK! You scored!! No shame in that, I'm sure the guy woulda preferred it go to a serious tyer that would use it accordingly, rather than an uninterested family member that would auction it off online. Post some pics of the flies when done.
Uh well......I didn't buy the gut. I actually went back today and picked this lot a second time and it's still there. If you are interested in it I will go grab it tomorrow for you. I did find it interesting that the pkgs were even labeled as "suture gut" shoot me a pm if you'd like me to grab it for you. It's interesting more guys haven't chimed in on this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do have a few packs of surgical gut from a few years ago but have never used any of it . I too would be interested in hearing from any who have used it ............Frank

·
Registered
231 Posts

Two cents.i have never used it.my thought was with old cattle gut
Sutures dissolved as stitches ..i guess that was the purpose of using..
Might be totally wrong.tho

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two cents.i have never used it.my thought was with old cattle gut
Sutures dissolved as stitches ..i guess that was the purpose of using..
Might be totally wrong.tho
Hey Kyle, I wondered about this too. I think this material may be before the days of "dissolvable sutures" but I'm about as far from medical knowledgeable as you could get. Regardless, even if I was an accomplished tyer, I'd still only use this stuff for presentation type stuff. It is very cool stuff, each pkg contains the "gut" as well as a suture needle. The needles themselves are pretty neat. Anyhow, this stuffs going out to Dingle Down tomorrow morning, he's the only board member that showed an interest.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Matt.yeah im not sure if id trust it on the water ethier.
Tim should put it good use.....
hope all is well you and family..did you turn off your
FB page?

Atb
Kyle

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt.yeah im not sure if id trust it on the water ethier.
Tim should put it good use.....
hope all is well you and family..did you turn off your
FB page?

Atb
Kyle
Yes I'm not on Facebook any more. Too much garbage. Family is well, hope your too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts