Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's pretty unusual for me to post twice in a week , but yesterday's events seem to warrant it .
it was a beautiful sunday and i was pretty much committed to doing nothing productive . unless one considers casting practice productive . my wife was doing the taxes and encouraged me to go , she claims i'm a distraction !! so i headed on down to the genesee river, which is about 5 minutes away, with the new meiser 14'7/8 mkx and the g-force 53' line . i consider the catt my home steelhead river but it's about a 2 hour drive and i won't fish weekends cuz it's a bit too bizzy for me . the genny is a put and take trout stream and a wonderful smallmouth fishery . i arrived and as is usually the case , nobody but me was there . i strung up the rod and started working on improving my casting and as i did i noticed caddis popping of the river . rycophelia . then i noticed large silvery fish slashing at the caddis as they drifted downstream . casting practice turned to fishing rather quickly . since i only had my steelhead boxes with me i didn't really have any caddis offerings to throw at them ( not really a thing for steelhead around these parts ) . but .... i did have a steelhead bee in the box . so , i greased up the fly and the leader and started to skate over the slashers . second swing BINGO . slammed the bee , straight up outta the river and the battle was on . what the heck ?? i'm on the genny not the catt , but that sure looks like a steelhead to me ?? un button the first one and swing some more . i didn't have to wait long and BOOM it's on again . i landed that one and still others were working the caddis . now it's close to dinner and my patient wife does have her limits . with a huge grin on my face i packed up and headed home .
the upper genny is definitely not steelhead water , it gets too warm in the summer . steelhead do come into the river from lake ontario in rochester but they can only travel several miles upstream before they come to a 80' waterfall . and i'm 90 miles from there . however , the dec dumps breeder steelies in the upper genny every fall , about 20 miles upstream from where i was fishing . these fish must have run down stream over the winter and were stacked up at my go to spot for casting practice . unfortunately , they are not likely to survive very long in their new haunt , it gets much too warm and there is no way to run to the lake . in retrospect , i might have kept one to eat , but instead i let'em go and called my river brothers to clue them in .
first fishes on the mkx !!
i did figure out how to use the flip phone to take this pic . apparently i can send the photo to my email . ya learn something every day .
as my friend pfc gomer pyle used say " surprise , surprise , surprise "
thanks , jim

Attachments

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,724 Posts
On Fire

Reactions: jimlucey

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Great story! That looks like a resident Rainbow too me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought at first you had to be talking about some other Genesee river. I grew up in rochester and I do not recall the Genesee being anything but a thick brown nothing. I recall guys snagging fish at the falls, but I was unaware there was anything living in it anywhere. I am glad to here one can catch a trout in the Genesee. live and learn.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I thought at first you had to be talking about some other Genesee river. I grew up in rochester and I do not recall the Genesee being anything but a thick brown nothing. I recall guys snagging fish at the falls, but I was unaware there was anything living in it anywhere. I am glad to here one can catch a trout in the Genesee. live and learn.
I went to high school in Avon, NY. When we moved to the area, one of the big selling points from my father (a non fisher) was the river, which through there, matches your description. But I started my whitewater paddling at Letchworth park, about an hour south of Rochester, (gentle class II in a beautiful, deep canyon, and a much different river above the dam). A little over twenty years ago, as part of a project, I paddled the river from south of Jim's area, north to Lake Ont. You can step across it at the PA border, and downriver to Letchworth, it's a beautiful freestone river, worth every bit of effort to access it. I only caught trout the first couple days, but the smallmouth fishing was excellent.

I find Rochester's treatment of the river and river frontage pretty tragic.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we don't really have resident trout in the genny . they are stockies that the dec puts in every year . some creep up colder tribs and hold over , i've caught browns over 24 " in them . the water is too warm in the summer and most of them are caught and 'et or die off . it's prone to super heavy flows from time to time and they don't help . i don't believe that is was every really a wild ( brook ) trout stream historically . there are brookies in the colder tribs though and you can pick them up in the mainstem from time to time . but not 'bows this big . this fall while walking the trail down by the pa border we could see these big rainbows in the shallows doing that thang . i was told some of them came from the steelhead hatchery but i can't tell if they are or aren't .
a kiss is never enough with that girl .
thanks , jim

·
Registered
Meiser, Winston, Sage and loomis rods. Sage and Ross reels
23 Posts
it's pretty unusual for me to post twice in a week , but yesterday's events seem to warrant it .
it was a beautiful sunday and i was pretty much committed to doing nothing productive . unless one considers casting practice productive . my wife was doing the taxes and encouraged me to go , she claims i'm a distraction !! so i headed on down to the genesee river, which is about 5 minutes away, with the new meiser 14'7/8 mkx and the g-force 53' line . i consider the catt my home steelhead river but it's about a 2 hour drive and i won't fish weekends cuz it's a bit too bizzy for me . the genny is a put and take trout stream and a wonderful smallmouth fishery . i arrived and as is usually the case , nobody but me was there . i strung up the rod and started working on improving my casting and as i did i noticed caddis popping of the river . rycophelia . then i noticed large silvery fish slashing at the caddis as they drifted downstream . casting practice turned to fishing rather quickly . since i only had my steelhead boxes with me i didn't really have any caddis offerings to throw at them ( not really a thing for steelhead around these parts ) . but .... i did have a steelhead bee in the box . so , i greased up the fly and the leader and started to skate over the slashers . second swing BINGO . slammed the bee , straight up outta the river and the battle was on . what the heck ?? i'm on the genny not the catt , but that sure looks like a steelhead to me ?? un button the first one and swing some more . i didn't have to wait long and BOOM it's on again . i landed that one and still others were working the caddis . now it's close to dinner and my patient wife does have her limits . with a huge grin on my face i packed up and headed home .
the upper genny is definitely not steelhead water , it gets too warm in the summer . steelhead do come into the river from lake ontario in rochester but they can only travel several miles upstream before they come to a 80' waterfall . and i'm 90 miles from there . however , the dec dumps breeder steelies in the upper genny every fall , about 20 miles upstream from where i was fishing . these fish must have run down stream over the winter and were stacked up at my go to spot for casting practice . unfortunately , they are not likely to survive very long in their new haunt , it gets much too warm and there is no way to run to the lake . in retrospect , i might have kept one to eat , but instead i let'em go and called my river brothers to clue them in .
i did figure out how to use the flip phone to take this pic . apparently i can send the photo to my email . ya learn something every day .
thanks , jim

View attachment 378750
View attachment 378748
Man, loved the story. Maybe that will be my wife in 15 years. Anyways. That looks like rainbow trout all day long. I’m from AK and I believe typically you won’t see dots below the lateral lines. I see that’s not the case where your fishing. Do all the Steelies there looks like that?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so , i sent the pic and the locale to the dec fisheries biologist who comes to our tu meetings and is a big part of what happens on the genny .
rainbow trout from the randolph hatchery . put in last fall . almost zero chance of making it through the summer as they have traveled below an impassable falls and lost any access to cold water creeks . i wish they were residents !
that's fine by me . it was the first fish for the new 14' 7/8 mkx . she proved her mettle yesterday as well steelhead (actual steelhead :) ) . this dime bright hen and some bonus tanker lake run smallies . fish all came to a spey i tied sort of a gold green , but with my subs .
the rod is WONDERFUL . my casting took a step forward . slowing down , driving with the lower hand , casting machine . i don't get it right every time and i'm working on that but.. when i do , OH BOY !

Man, loved the story. Maybe that will be my wife in 15 years. Anyways. That looks like rainbow trout all day long. I’m from AK and I believe typically you won’t see dots below the lateral lines. I see that’s not the case where your fishing. Do all the Steelies there looks like that ?
i hope for you that you can be as lucky as i am in marriage . choose wisely .
. like rick says , the genny below letchworth is a beautiful piece of water . it provides me with good fishing all spring through fall as well as recreation for the family . eagles , beavers, ducks a million whitetails etc etc pretty much every trip down . when i was young , 40 years ago ,we would hunt the river for racoons by night in a canoe and it provided a good living for a few years .
the fly took a hiding . i used green dyed mallard for a wing . tied forward and folded back and separated . silver tinsel , dyed mallard from the craft store for a collar .

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks , jim

View attachment 378750
View attachment 378748
Looks like a Rainbow. Healthy fish though. Pretty colors.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
. it was the first fish for the new 14' 7/8 mkx . she proved her mettle yesterday as well steelhead (actual steelhead :) ) . this dime bright hen and some bonus tanker lake run smallies . fish all came to a spey i tied sort of a gold green , but with my subs .
the rod is WONDERFUL . my casting took a step forward . slowing down , driving with the lower hand , casting machine . i don't get it right every time and i'm working on that but.. when i do , OH BOY !
z

Sweet! Congrats on that pretty hen. And i have to admit, I miss those Erie smallmouth. Have heard rumor there are at least the equivalent out here, just need time to go look for them.

And so agree on the that rod. I feel like I'm the only limiting factor, and it gives me the feedback I need to improve. Whenever I'm not fishing it, I'm thinking about how I apply what it is teaching me to whatever I'm fishing at the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts