Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
I know black and purple are the favored colors, but that pink and white has just got to pull the shrimp trigger in the steelhead brain. Great looking intruders.

BTW, interested in hearing how the rhea holds up. I love it too, but I didn't find it to be as durable as I'd hoped.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know black and purple are the favored colors, but that pink and white has just got to pull the shrimp trigger in the steelhead brain. Great looking intruders.

BTW, interested in hearing how the rhea holds up. I love it too, but I didn't find it to be as durable as I'd hoped.
I'll let you know how the rhea hold up. These probably won't see any action until the white river blows out on the deschutes this summer.... Did you have a problem with the rhea breaking or just falling out? I put mine in a dubbing loop, then secured it with a few wraps of zap a gap soaked thread just to be sure it wont go anywhere.

I was inspired by the pink and white combo from the skagit master dvd series. In the 3rd video the showed flies under some different water conditions, and in one scene there was a shot of 3-4 ft vis and sunny skies with a big pink and white intruder. The white really gave it a translucent look witch I totally dig. The ostrich should move enough water for the fish to know its there, and with the translucence I kind of want this fly to sneak up on them. I heard somewhere ( and believe it to some extent) that you really don't want to give a fish too much time to decide if they want to play. I also don't want them to see it from 6 ft away and decide not to go for it, then when I step down and its in there range, they may have already instinctively decided that its of no interest to them. So with this its more of a eat or get of the pot fly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool flies! I notice intruders are back!!

Todd
Thanks Todd! I've been checking in your blog now and again, you tie some beautiful skaters! I'll be on the NU a couple times this June / July, so I may be mimicking some of your ties! I am just stuck on this intruder tying kick, its just something about tying something that swims and pulsates!
Building a swim tank to test flies is next on my list....

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Pink and white is my best dirty water color combo!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts