Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend Adrian Cortes has been a wonderful contributor to my blog. Since our BC trip he has become a full fledged surface steelhead nut. I guess he took my saying "sometimes even a blind nut finds a squirrel" to heart and he has transferred his surface steelhead addiction to his homewater and he has been doing very well in getting his local steelhead to play the surface game. I posted his cool piece on my blog. I think you all will enjoy following along with his story which culminates with him capturing a comeback surface steelhead grab on video, not with a GoPro, but while putting his digital camera on video mode and holding it in one hand, while twitching his greaseliner in the other. Cool stuff...

http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/2014/11/surface-steel-blessing-and-curse.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey now, that was on Moldy Chum! Brrr-aaapp-aaapp-aaaap!

Say, when is the Wang SBS going up? Puh-leeeze?

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Excellent entry by brother Adrian !!
I agree with Alan , that take is enough to make your heart race in over-drive :hihi:
Very cool post !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
very cool video. i haven't fished the dry fly much but the times that I have I find it nearly impossible to wait on the take...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very cool. I still wonder if it just isn't easier for a steelhead to take down a Greasliner, or a Steelhead Caddis than a foam waker. Now if they are just in plain attack mode it probably does not matter, but if they are just sipping like a trout, it is much easier to suck in the dear hair than foam, which resists being sunk.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Ha! Thanks for the thread and your blog, Todd.

Glad some of you enjoyed that...my wife was annoyed at me for quite a while during the constant replaying of that video at home. I kinda felt like GR8LAKESFLYER when he plays with his Olsons at home and makes his wifey cringe at the sweet sounds:hihi:

Just as an update, I've continued this surface nonsense well in to the cold temps recently and have had good success on the skated fly.

Just ridiculously fun.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Thanks for the thread and your blog, Todd.

Glad some of you enjoyed that...my wife was annoyed at me for quite a while during the constant replaying of that video at home. I kinda felt like GR8LAKESFLYER when he plays with his Olsons at home and makes his wifey cringe at the sweet sounds:hihi:

Just as an update, I've continued this surface nonsense well in to the cold temps recently and have had good success on the skated fly.

Just ridiculously fun.

Cheers,
Adrian
Yep, I think we're both seeing how far we can push the "skater season" on our respective home waters. People may think we're nuts, but we are definitely having fun. It's great to have someone who can relate to my craziness. Just wished my home water was as generous as yours!!

So I've gotten surface steel until the end of November in years past and will continue trying to see what this season will give up. Maybe even surface steel in Dec?? Early winters on top?? It never ends...

Todd

·
Registered
110 Posts
Last year at about this time I decided to fish a light tip. I talked to someone who told me he had just had a steelhead grab his indicator, it was not long before I had the waker back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts