Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! East or West coast? Floating or sinking line?

Mark
Thanks, I'm in Central Cali. (are there surf perch on the east coast? I dunno). These fish are fat, heavy, and stubborn as a bulldog... fun to catch. At first I thought his one might be a striper.

I use a slow sinking line at 3 IPS... the Airflo Sniper 8w on a 6w Echo Classic Switch 11' stick.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice perch, I bet that will be tasty !!
Diggin' the Pflueger :smokin:

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yeah we like to eat them. Seems to be a sustainable fishery at this point, with a limit of 10 fish daily. In 22 years I have got my limit once or twice. I spin fish too, when the surf is big.

I dig the reel too... my poor man's Hardy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is a toad of a surf perch. Clouser? Never thought to use one always use sand crab patterns... need to rethink that...

Well done indeed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a toad of a surf perch. Clouser? Never thought to use one always use sand crab patterns... need to rethink that...
MrT I use both. But if I had to choose one, it would be a small chartreuse clouser. Seems to be super visible to them. My favorite crab-ish fly is just an orange bead head bugger. Got two keepers on that one today.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great fish! I bet that put a nice bend in the old Echo.

Awesome timing. We are doing some clamming this weekend and I was on the fence about bringing a surf perch rig. Guess my mind is made up now! If everything goes right we may end up with a clam/crab/fish feast.

I tend to go down and dirty. Our beaches don't have much structure so I just huck a chunk of T20 with running line on a switch rod and drag a small olive/rust/brown ish bugger along the bottom. I don't bother with a basket but there seem to be plenty of fish in close. Might need the spin rod with surf in the 6-10' range this weekend though...

Thanks for the stoke.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great fish! I bet that put a nice bend in the old Echo.

Awesome timing. We are doing some clamming this weekend and I was on the fence about bringing a surf perch rig. Guess my mind is made up now! If everything goes right we may end up with a clam/crab/fish feast.

I tend to go down and dirty. Our beaches don't have much structure so I just huck a chunk of T20 with running line on a switch rod and drag a small olive/rust/brown ish bugger along the bottom. I don't bother with a basket but there seem to be plenty of fish in close. Might need the spin rod with surf in the 6-10' range this weekend though...

Thanks for the stoke.
You're right, a 15" perch feels like a 20"" striper some times. I like buggers too, in orange and red. When visibility is low I often switch to chartreuse. I think I'm gonna try a faster sinking head too... I hate dragging the rocks but that's where the fish are.

Good luck, and keep that spin rod handy for the big waves. I always do. ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
That’s about double the size of the ones I get on the north side of Monterey Bay - wow! Got one that size on a Scout trip on the Lost Coast - I never thought of fishing the surf this time of year. I was under the impression that BSP weren’t very active until March - April, now I wish I had brought my rod last week in Watsonville. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Surf flyfishing is a lot of fun and incredibly underutilized resource in California. Fish with son over in Santa Barbara area last 10 years when visit. Surf Perch and corbina. Got to get down and use RIO OBS 6 with 4 ft 8# Fluor for Perch. Go to pattern 2 minute tie BB eyes Rootbeer estaz body orange Maribou tail maybe org sili legs. Anything mole crabby works. Rod 6 wt. Cheap reel b/c of sand. Unless you are an octopus Stripping basket MANDATORY>

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,246 Posts
Is it pretty much the same style of fishing for SP up North, say in WA?
Asking for a friend:saevilw:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well I went out and took my skunking like a man. Surf really kicked in Saturday so it was a bit tough but I couldn't seem to find any fish. Everything was a bit jumbled up and the rips were constantly moving around which didn't help. Easy limits of clams friday and saturday nights made it a successful trip though. Sure is nice to escape to the coast, I gotta do that more.

SS, as best I know there are really 2 styles to fish for them and it all depends on the beach. If its big wide open sand like we had at long beach you just chuck out a bunch of sink tip on running line and drag your rig back along the bottom. Thats what I was doing(not that it worked too well ;)
The other style is when there is lots of structure and kelp around. Then I think you run a floater with a weighed fly like a clouser. I haven't really done much of that type.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s about double the size of the ones I get on the north side of Monterey Bay - wow! Got one that size on a Scout trip on the Lost Coast - I never thought of fishing the surf this time of year. I was under the impression that BSP weren’t very active until March - April, now I wish I had brought my rod last week in Watsonville. Thanks for the post!
Around here the big ones start coming in close about Dec-Jan and stick around until about April or so. Spring is best because you can get striper and perch in the same day on the same rig. My wife got one BSP 17" a few years back... it can happen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts