Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would to know if anyone used their two-handed
for surf fishing, if so what is the best two- handed
for this? I am looking at the Cabela 14' 11/12 wt.
and i will fish for bluefish and striper. I need help.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Two handing the surf

I haven't fished that rod, but have wagged it. It is a spey rod, meant as most are for the modified roll casting that is spey casting. The more strictly "two-hander" (overhead casting) rods are usually 12-13' in length and faster in action, though there are some spey sticks that will crossover. I think the shorter Sage Euro is a two-hander, and know that T&T make some. I'm assuming that for surf fishing you want to cast overhead.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Al, I think the previous poster is correct about the Cabelas' rod, I do not think you will find it suitable.

If you are looking for a low-priced entry for overhead casting in the salt, check out the Redington RedFly rods. I have a 12'6" that I use with 10-weight heads, and it is a fine combo, though not as powerful as my favorite rods from Thomas & Thomas.

There is a guy down your way named Jim Funston who has a lot of experience with 2-handers in the salt. Shoot me an e-mail if you would like to contact him, and I know he would be happy to help you out.

J.Horton

·
Registered
45 Posts
surf fishing with a spey rods

Al,
A friend of mine mentioned that one of the guys on a recent trip to Christmas Island had brought along a Sage 15' two hander. He used it during a very low tide to overhand cast beyond the breakers toward the edge of the drop off and picked up three nice trevally. I don't know what line set up this guy was using but a shooting head system like the ones that Hardy offers would be ideal for this type of fishing. I recently tried some Hardy shooting heads for spey rods at the 2002 Spey Clave and they were very good. I was really impressed with their running line, it was virtually memory free and didn't coil like most running lines I've used in the past. JB

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Al,
I think the earlier posts are correct the Cabelas rod is probably too soft to be a decent surf rod. Those who've done it lean to the shorter stiffer 12-13' rods. Thomas & Thomas has a rod they developed specifically for the Striper market and I believe Sage used to have a model in that range - Juro would know. The mother-lode of short fast double-handers is by far Scandinavia where the Underhand cast rules the roost and overhead casting is common.

I am making a trip out to Cape Cod to fish for stripers with Juro and the gang this July. I am taking a Loop Green 13'2" 9-10. This is a good overhand rod as it is quite a fast action, I will be matching it with a Loop Adapted Line Shooting head system. These heads are apparently quite popular in Scandinavia. I haven't got out to practice much yet but I've watched Dana boom it out - so I know it will do the job.

Juro tells me that the two-hander will shine when fishing the surf, as it will allow the caster to stay back out of the surf a little more and will certainly whack it out there. He was adamant that a single hander is more approriate for the flats fishing we will also be doing.

You might want to post on the Atlantic Salmon board and get some input - particularly some of the Scandinavians - possibly you could PM Per Stadigh - though I'm sure he's pretty busy chasing Atlantics somewhere !

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Short Rod on e-bay

Al, There is a unused 12'4" Cabela's 2 hander for a 9 weight on e-bay Item # 1831510862.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts