Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone show me way to old post where someone had seen this very costly service and caused some amusement at the time, i think about 2 years ago. i think its the same chap i have recently come across touting very long 18-20ft rods. the chap i have reached is philip krista, i asked why he had not seemed to have progressed the marketing of his long rods, he answered 'i've been selling these rods to european market. americans are'nt emotionally capable of handling an 18 or 20 footer' i would like to look back and see what upset him!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Try the "search" feature.

Is this what you were looking for?

www philipkrista.com/whyspeyfishing.htm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
philip krista

hi willie gunn and velsku. thanks for website, i had found that thru some links page. it was his comment that tickled something in my memory that there had been some ribaldry over his guide charges a couple of years ago and i am trying to find the old thread. i've tried all the search words i can think of. thanks anyway. now willie gunn while we're at peace on this thread, how are you doing on spey this year. i noticed you had only kelts a couple of days ago. whats happenning generally?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Velsku said:
I think that the correct addres is:
]www .philipkrista.com/whyspeyfishing.htm- Velsku
Velsku,
As they were not sponsors of the site I left out a direct link.

Referring Non-Sponsors on SpeyClave
-------------------------------------------
To be fair to our existing sponsors who keep our lights on, when you post referrals to non-sponsor businesses we ask that you send an email to that business, CC: [email protected], asking them to consider becoming a sponsor. This way everybody wins!

I have edited your link to save you breaking these rules as well

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I met Mr.Krista at the Danbury CT show, he was wearing a kilt in January outside. That was neither here nor there to me, as I appreciate a man who takes his dedication seriously - but he was promoting overhand casting with two-handers for striped bass with soft rods of 18-21 feet.

That I have a bit of a philosophical difference with. The 11ft 11/12wt Atlantis is approx 9" longer from grip to tip than the standard single-hander used in the striped bass fishery yet it can reach over 140ft with a single easy going backcast. This 9" is a necessary evil in order to give the caster the advantage of a fulcrum without false casting and double hauling to reach pretty crazy distances for the amount of effort while being very fishable, even from a boat.

A 12 ft rod is 21" longer, and getting quite a big more ungainly for my tastes; a 14ft is 45" longer from grip to tip - wow four more feet of tube between you and your fish for overhand casting (?)

Then let's jump to a 21ft rod = 84"+45"=129", over 10 feet longer from grip to tip than your standard single handed rod for stripers!

The question is "why?" Striper fishing is not something that you do much spey casting in. There are few rivers where you'd swing a fly for them. The flies are as large as the fish's appetites and don't spey cast well. The lines are often fast sinking full heads or intermediate full lines of WF lengths, 30-40 ft heads which are not ideal for spey casting, particularly with long rods pitted against such short heads.

Of course you could spey fish for stripers, but a standard length spey casting tool with a mid-length spey line (65 ft or so) would be more than adequate if you were so inclined to spey cast. It's certainly not necessary as there is plenty of room on the beach and the 18-21 ft length does not provide anything more than a good 14ft'er would, a 13ft'er for that matter when you consider the spey casting distances and lines to throw, this is a strip retrieve fishery and the closer you can strip the more fish you hook.

In fact I can't see the need for such rods unless there is some tournament purpose having nothing to do with fishing, personally.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I spoke with that guy at Danbury briefly; I must say that we didn't discuss using such long rods for overhead casting to stripers. I imagine that one could make the case for doing what he suggests the same as when using any other fly rod of adequate fish-fighting power: perhaps he suggests it simply because it can be done. Or maybe I'm wrong. But Juro brings up good points, as usual. Why would someone want all that extra rod and weight if they can toss flies over 140' with a rod nearly half the length? But I digress from the true intent of the thread...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
toss flies

i'm sure an ultralight spinning rod would do the job,,what's the point,,not everyone rides the same motorbike,drives the same car,,heck,if i couldn't ~play~,,why bother,,look at Noburo,neeling with steel on the Tompson,see the size of the butt of the rod,,,yes,a rod,that looks like it's built to make something happen,,it's inspirational;big water;big rod;big day;big smile,,maybe i look at things a bit dif. than most,but i've never been one to sit and watch,everyone else have all the fun,,,the big rods HAVE a place that i KNOW,,,and i'm not telling where that is:hehe: :hehe:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hammer -

I agree, different strokes for different folks - but there is also such thing as "suitable for the task at hand" which matters to the vast majority.

Striped bass fishing is similar to saltchuck coho fishing with a fly, both of which I know very well. You cast quickly with almost no concern for backcasting room ever, and strip the fly butt to the rod tip aggressively to elicit a strike. Overhand casting with two handed rods offer huge advantages under certain conditions, like high surf, strong winds and fishing big (flies, fish).

Yet the spey cast per se is not something you'd often use on the beach or boat - it's an overhand casting game 99.9% of the time, unless the hundreds of thousands of practitioners on the coast have it all wrong.

If you could picture walking the plank at Neah Bay down to your 16ft kicker boat with an 18ft two-handed rod with a good spey casting action, that's about how well a spey casting tool fits the saltchuck fishery for ocean bass here. There isn't going to be any spey casting unless you force yourself to do it.... why bring a tool designed for something you won't do?

Anyway, thanks for letting me clarify the point. Again I am not meaning to pass judgement on anyone for using whatever, I am simply trying to express what I have learned to be true with the sand under my feet, and every effort made to avoid delusion.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i prefer, and use short rods on the drifter,i learned pretty quick,it's a ***** once you've `tyed one on',,fishing alone,with a 14-10,anchored in the river,i really only use the two-handers alone,afoot,,on one spate river,,,that is constantly changing,and,with the seasonal surges of diff. species,flows,crowds,,always looking for a spot away,,funny ,i kept trying to get a 10-10,years back,,always getting turned away,,even tryed to buy a blank from Sage,;,oop,disc.,,,actually ,HAD to get a computer to go fishing!?,,i've done more in two years online than the five previous at the flyshops in ore.i've an interest in your atlantis,,all the CND's,heck,the 12-12 t-t sounds geat as well,as the season ahead unfolds,,i'll be looking to whip chinook,estuary style,how well does the Atlantis handle 70 plus pounders?,i know we're way off topic now,, :smokin:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Hammer...

how well does the Atlantis handle 70 plus pounders?
If you are up to it, I guarantee the Atlantis is up to it.:smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
yeah,i'm not done beatin' on Mr. Krista,,with a very long rod of course,,but,,the actual topic here,,,,since we all HAD to bare our crosses so to speak,,,,let's see,i believe he charges a set price for one person that would seem high,but only another fifty USD for the second soul,,maybe he figured out that one customer was costing him the same amount of time as two or,???,what's the beef here,?,and i had visited his site way before the post was made by Paul Locke,,,maybe he's that good!????:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi hammer, no beef! i have to spend a long winter holiday in w.indies doing penance for what SWMBO regards as too much fishing last year and previous and etc. so i pass time looking at fishing websites and on a link hit philip krista. i asked how his long rods were progressing and got this reaction about long rods and us citizens. this sparked my memory that way back there had been some hilarity about his charges so i am trying to find the original thread to see what upset him so. idle curiousity!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EUREKA, thanks mjc. thanks to all. the past thread can be viewed by search on ' galellic ', a neat misspelling of gaelic but which gives a perfect one thread search. its very amusing and i can see why he had sense of humour failure!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
actalluy i found him twice once on a search of Rogue River Spey rods,,,,,but we've been recently updated computerwize,,,so ,i'll search more,,,need to see that sexy skirt again!:hehe:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Late to this thread, but... found Mr. Krista's site while Googling for spey sites. If a person just had to drop that kind of coin...

Round trip flight from Baltimore to Idaho Falls, as low as $516 USD.

Full day private lesson with SimonG, $1200.

Or... continue to Portland/Seattle for a private with any number of top instructors.

Or... win the next Speypages package auction and attend the Sandy/Clearwater/... spey clave.

--Rob

·
Registered
327 Posts
Way back in the dim darks, when people fished in rivers for trout etc, they did it with rods around 20 feet long at that time America belonged to the ******, I think or maybe the Mayans, but those 20 foot rods were dapped and designed so that if the fish got to be a problem the lot was chucked into the river to act asx a useful drag system. Later on a rod was designed that you pulled the butt sections off when you needed to land fish. I suggest you look ast Surf fishing Australia, you will find that at one time 20 foot rods were the go and long rods in the 15' class are still used, One of the most successful bait fishing outfits for beach and rock fishing situations is the South African Assassinn outfit. Its around 16 feet long and has a low mount overhead reel. It hurls baits out of sight, a darn sight further than you can cast a fly rod, even with rocket assist.
MaxG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts