Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of these rod mounts for my car they were the suction type.on the second time of using the front one slid off my car and smashed on the road .Thankfully i hadn't any rods strapped to them at the time.I contacted sumo rod mounts there response was less than helpful to say the least My advise to any one thinking of buying these rod mounts is don't there are much better products out there which are much better made and for a much cheaper price. Sumo rod mounts are rubbish very cheaply constructed and poor quality.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
sumo

I had the same experience, took them back to the fly shop and they called the builder (who is right here in town) and was told to tell me to read the instructions! Well I had read the instructions. The owner of the fly shop used them on a 4 day trip and they lasted 30 minutes into the first day and he was able to get stopped quick enough not to damage the 4 rods he had on the mount.
The trouble is that the suction cups simply don't work. The magnet model works great though but it's a problem if you have a vehicle with a non metal hood (all ford 150's). What was surprising was that the builder didn't care a twit about the problem. Actually to me the quality looked good and it seemed that the design looked great but those suction cups don't work, it's that simple (at least on the set I purchased).

Bad Scene
L

·
Registered
305 Posts
Strange. I have had a set for a couple of years and love them. Have never once had them come off, and I leave them on for up to a couple of weeks straight without removing or having to re-apply a vacuum. Out of habit, I do check them each time I hit the road.

I think that you have to pay attention before setting the suction cups up - I keep a dishtowel in the truck and use it to make sure that the area where the cups are going is clean and dry. I also keep the cups themselves clean. When properly maintained and attached, I absolutely cannot pull them off.

In fact, they stick too well sometimes. A couple of seasons back, at the tail end of a trip when I was dead tired, I had a couple of Meisers up on the racks. Coming up from the river on a narrow track road, we met an oncoming vehicle. Without thinking, I stopped and reversed off-track to make way. A large pine branch slipped up under the two rods on the roof cup set. In seconds (but it seemed like slow motion), looking out the windshield I noticed the rods flexing down near the handles. By the time I realized what was happening and jammed on the brakes, bot rods had exploded from the flexing stress in the third section down from the top. The Sumo suction cups on the hood and the roof hadn't budged at all. If they had, the rods would have survived.

·
Dom
3,119 Posts
Glad I went with Cabelas brand magnetic mounts. Cheap, plain jane, good rod mounts. +70 mph, no problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah.... $1000+ rig
it goes inside the ride
No doubt. I can break my rod down into two sections in less than 15 seconds and put it back together in less than 15 seconds. Easy peasy. None of my setups are even close to $1000, but still.

Put the hook on the guide above the middle ferrule, reel up slack, break down into two sections. It's that easy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No doubt. I can break my rod down into two sections in less than 15 seconds and put it back together in less than 15 seconds. Easy peasy. None of my setups are even close to $1000, but still.

Put the hook on the guide above the middle ferrule, reel up slack, break down into two sections. It's that easy.
+1 - I've never been willing to expose my gear to random bits of sand and other airborne debris when it's so easy to break down the rod(s) as described. Also makes climbing in and out of spots much easier and safer for the rods. I use a very small bunji (little ponytail things work fine too) to secure the rod pieces together on the non-reel end, and the reel cover at the other end.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was just thinking about purchasing the Sumo suction rod holders, I have a Ford F-150 so the magnetic will not work. Thanks for the info because now I am re-thinking if I want to spent that kind of money and then worry if my rods are going to fall off the truck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Guys.....Sumo changed their suction cups to a way better compound. Maybe grit or trees are an issue, but I am very confident with their holding power, even on the highway shuttling to my favorite hike-in hole.

That being said, do what feels right.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
sumo

Thanks for the last post.... I hope they have changed it because the earlier ones did not work. We cleaned the surface of the hood, cleaned the bottom of both suction cups, followed the instructions on loosening the adjustments before attaching and all that. believe me we did it a number of times.
If they have changed them for the better that's good.
But their attitude with my problem was just plain shoddy customer service, period.
You won't find me doing business with them which is a sad thing because their made right here in town.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Buy the tight lines from Poppy. You won't regret it..

·
Registered
272 Posts
I"ve got the Tight Lines magnetic, but need do get vacuum mounts for one of the pieces for my new car. For the price I think I can add some RAM or Woods Powr suction mounts. Doing so with RAM will allow me to use 4 separate suction cups and provide a measure of insurance. If I go with Woods I'll probably back off to 2 cups because they have a indicator to tell you if the suction fails.

Looked at Sumo, but at the time the feedback wasn't great. As mentioned above their website calls out a replacement program for their old suction cups.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was just fishing the other day and noticed a few individuals using their ski racks as rod holders. It seemed to work really well but you already have to have a ski rack mounted. Planning on trying it in the near future and will post pics and a description of how it works.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sumo suction mounts

I have used both their suction mounts and their magnetics. Both work great. I keep some paper towels and windex in the car and clean the hood and roof before I put on the suction cups.

Also, I had the old style suction cups and really wanted the magnetics. Sumo traded me straight up without any hassles. Their customer service has been great to me.

Highly recommended.

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts