Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know it's winter and it's embarrassing to post in the midst of all the talent and artistry on here, but just wanted to also appeal to the "everyday tyer's support group".

Ok, this is the same skater pattern of mine, but with a new color scheme and a new name.

It contains the colors of the other "Hope" (plus a couple more) and in spite of it's name, it can also be skated in winter (eh Adrian), spring, and fall!!

Todd

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
These are Smokin' HOT Todd :smokin::smokin:
Though the weather today is overcast with some drizzle , air temps are currently hovering around 0C (32F) and will "warm up" to 4C (39F) this afternoon , your post inspires me to bust out those Purple skaters you sent me !!
Once I'm finished playing around with my sunk lines , I'll line up a full floater and poly and skate one over some promising water :hihi:

Seriously inspiring Todd !!

Mike

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Someone once told me it was all but impossible to catch a steelhead on a fly that was not tipped with a night crawler. I have also been told you can’t catch a winter fish on a dry fly. Where do people get such ideas? Beautifully done, really like the color combo.

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
little wang

I fully expect to see a nice winter fish with a little wang hung in the corner of its mouth sometime this winter in a post by FSHNAZN. In name, the little wang reminds me of my very favorite lure I used to catch steelhead with - the little cleo. Note: the original little cleo had a topless hula dancer pressed into the spoon. Kinda little wang's girl friend.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys:
Thanks for your kind and generous comments. I chuckle as I browse through this forum with all the amazing flies posted, many tied in hand, and then I'm enough of a nutjob to post my foam monstrosity in the middle of it all! I feel like a redneck in coveralls who showed up to a suit and tie event.

Keith:
I saw you grab those flies out of my box, but hey I got a nice JW Young out of the deal.

Mike:
I hope you skate up a winter steelhead, send us a report!!

Steelhead23:
I agree, I think Adrian's got the mojo to skate up a winter steelhead soon.

Marty:
I agree, preconceived notions can affect how we fish. Skating up winter steel can be done - I definitely need to keep trying.

Jin:
Thanks for the kind words, quite a compliment from a tyer of your stature.

Todd

·
Registered
997 Posts
cool color variation on your wang pattern Todd, I'll take a dozen :)

Keith.. Fly box pilfering is a fine art :chuckle:

Cheers.
J.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The words of a true artist there! ;)

Todd, great looking dry. I know of a few winters in the rivers I fish that have fallen to dry flies. I think it all boils down to fishing the right water with persistence. Best of luck, can't wait to hear of your success.

Mark

cool color variation on your wang pattern Todd, I'll take a dozen :)

Keith.. Fly box pilfering is a fine art :chuckle:

Cheers.
J.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The words of a true artist there! ;)

Todd, great looking dry. I know of a few winters in the rivers I fish that have fallen to dry flies. I think it all boils down to fishing the right water with persistence. Best of luck, can't wait to hear of your success.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I agree with you about fishing the right water and staying with it. I have a game plan this season: concentrate time on skating in the afternoons when the water has warmed a bit, especially on a dropping river with adequate clarity, or during low water winter conditions in shallow lies. We are blessed to often have mild conditions in Oregon at various times throughout the winter and especially later in the season.

I'm encouraged to hear of winter surface steelhead success in your rivers - proof that it can be done. I got one on top in late March 2012 - time for winter surface steel #2!

Todd

·
Registered
63 Posts
Someone once told me it was all but impossible to catch a steelhead on a fly that was not tipped with a night crawler. I have also been told you can’t catch a winter fish on a dry fly. Where do people get such ideas? Beautifully done, really like the color combo.
This one wasn't on a dry.... but it was on a floating line and a small 2 inch fly on a long leader, in freezing temperatures (low of -2C, high of 4C afternoon) on December 15, 2014.

Btw... sorry for high-jacking the thread with that, awesome looking skater! I rose quite a few to dries in November this year... maybe I'll try it again in January and see if it works :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This one wasn't on a dry.... but it was on a floating line and a small 2 inch fly on a long leader, in freezing temperatures (low of -2C, high of 4C afternoon) on December 15, 2014.

Btw... sorry for high-jacking the thread with that, awesome looking skater! I rose quite a few to dries in November this year... maybe I'll try it again in January and see if it works :chuckle:
What a fish!! Congrats. What a wonderful winter dry line catch, keep it up.

Todd

·
Registered
895 Posts
Brother Todd - master of the foam!!

Great tying my friend, I love it! And in one of the best color combos going.

Excellent artistic take on a favorite fly!!

All the best,

-Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts