Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a summer steelhead trip to Washington during early July. I would like to use this trip as an opportunity to develop my speyfishing skills. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding Washington summer-run rivers that are appropriate for two-handed rods.

Also, looking for Skagit-casting instructor in Seattle area.

Much Obliged,

John

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
July is a tough month but there are fish around. Tough because of the water temps and potentially dour fish. Statistically though most of the fish are in the rivers so the potential is high if you play the game right. Focus the fishing time in the first and last hours of the day, don't ignore riffly faster water and use mid-day for casting and lessons over an iced espresso ;)

There are three major regions and other lesser visited to think about:

1) Cascade / Puget Sound
2) Olympic Peninsula
3) Columbia tribs

Depending on the time you plan to spend, you should consider visiting them all :D

Popular and productive rivers in area 1 include:

Skykomish, Snoqualmie, Stilly

OP:

Elwha, Sol Duc, Hoh

Columbia:

Cowlitz, Kalama, Lewis, Washougal, Wind

From the latter you can hop over the Oregon to fish the Sandy, Deschutes, etc.

The more convenient the access to populated areas, the more competition you will face for hooking fish but if quality time on the water is as important as hooking up you'll be glad to hear there are countless streams to try with the potential of a summer run grab.

I would try to hook up with members from the area who as recently discussed are generous with face to face sharing but not likely to post details on public bulletin boards.

I only wish I still lived there, I'd definitely be taking you to a few honey holes. Afterall, you would eventually go back to Chicago so any secrets would be safe! :devil:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juro;

Thanks for the breakdown. I’m really more interested in visiting some water that is well suited to casting and swinging a long line than trespassing on someone’s hard-earned Summer stash.

Thanks again,

John

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Big John,

Virtually any summer run river in Western Washington is suitable for the use of the long 2-hander with a long line. And as Juro said, they all have fish in them during July. Public Fishing Access Points are easy to find, it is the fish that are ellusive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
esudol

Big John:

A primo piece of water that holds early fish is the Deschutes in Oregon and is worth a serious look. Park at the mouth and walk back as far as you like without worrying about tresspassing.
Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts