Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else suffer as badly as I did on mid-Gaula in the middle of July? Air : 30 degrees+ Water 20 degrees! Pity, since the spring run had been excellent, oh well, same old story!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heatwave

I fished week 30 and the first days of week 31 on the middle Gaula. The waterlevel was below the minimum of the last 50 years, so it was hard work. Some very nice grilse in the 2 - 3 kilo range (and an 11.5 kilo salmon) was present in the first part of the period, after that the river was dead.

This lasted until 10 days ago when we had the largest flood of the year. Nice fishing conditions after that. New flood last weekend. I had my last Gaula trip of the season last night. Fished in very high water the colour of coffee for some hours without luck.

Next trip in 9 months.....

Knut

J

·
0 Posts
This seems to be a problem throughout the sub-arctic this year. I just returned from a week on the Flowers River in northern Labrador. This is the farthest north of any scheduled salmon river in North America. The water was as low as any of the guides had ever seen. And the temperatures were in the 90 degree F range the first couple of days. We were told that the temps were 100 degrees+ for about ten days in early August and they hadn't had any rain in about six weeks (other than a brief light shower.) That really is something for an area north of the 55th parallel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suffering in the heat

Hi Knutlf, we also had some nice fish around but they proved virtually impossible to raise to the fly - only hooked 3 grilse of which 2 came off quite quickly.

I'm not sure if this was just a problem of the sub-arctic because in Ireland we have suffered from a terrible drought. Add to that the fact that all the netsmen, drift-netsmen & poachers have been cleaning up, with no-one in authority willing to do anything about it (they actually extended the legal netting season beyond its statutory closing date on the Foyle system in the N West) and it paints a very gloomy, depressing and very worrying picture.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same here

I fished middle Gaula week 29....my usual week. We startd out the week with some water but by mid-week it was dead low. Still managed to account for 35 Salmon for the 10 rods fishing, which wasn't bad. We had a couple of big ones earlier in the week, but only grisle thereafter. All grilse were sea-liced, so it just shows how they still run even in the lowest of water levels.

Best times was when the water temperature was at it's lowest, usually when the sun went down, or before it came back up. Square casts and stripped flies fished very fast worked best.

Tough going, but I'll be back next year to do battle again. The Gaula has to one of the best rivers in Europe. All classes of fish are present in the river and even in the lowest, hottest of conditions you can still catch.

Had the chance to do some snokelling in one of the pools with the local farmer. Amazing!!! Saw Salmon up to 30lbs...wonderful.

roll on 2004.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gaula

Hello,

Did you stay at the Bogen farm? In this case I think we may have met when you were taking your rods down and we were preparing to start. I remember the snorkelling story from Vinsnes.

Best Regards

Knut

·
Registered
121 Posts
Knut, yes you are correct. We stayed at Bogen farm until the Monday of week 30, so I guess we met. Small world eh!!!!

Hopefully see you next year then!!!!

John.

P.S. shame we didn't get all the water they've had at the end of August.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gaula

Is that Bogen farm & the fishing with Mr Arne Flagestadt (hope I spelt that correctly)? If so, I may haver met some of you 2 years ago (not this past summer). Storlaks, did you and your partner get a couple of grilse in your last mornings fishing in Langora?

Boy, it is a small world!

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Talking about the size of the world, I met two Irish fishermen at Stören bridge pool last summer, during a very dry and warm mid-july week. PStewart, would you have moustache or a strong reverse single spey ?:)

WBR, Lohi one of the three Finns

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
small, small world!

Lohi, yes, I was one of the two Irish guys you mentioned! My friend is the one with moustache - I was the one who spent most of my time sitting in the hut or on the riverbank! Tough week wasn't it?

Good to hear from you, I hope you are well and that the rest of your season has been enjoyable! Maybe we'll meet again next year

best regards

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Tough indeed!

Usually the second and third weeks of july have been a good ones, so one has to carefully consider any alterations to the timing. Maybe (and hopefully) this year was one of a kind, and next year there would also be water and fresh fish in the river, and not just tourists swimming around.

Lohi

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mmmmm

PStewart, can't honestly remember about the grilse. I guess it could be. We've certainly had a few grilse out of langora.

Anyway, all going well I'll be back in week 29 next year. May even sneak in a few days in early June.

We should maybe synchronise before we all head off in 2004 especially if we fish in the same pre/proceeding weeks.

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh...thinking of next year already..and looking forward fondly!

btw we should synchronize!

best

·
Registered
43 Posts
norway in july 03

i fished orkla, namsen, malsev, 13-25 july, all the same 30c+ air and varying 17-18c water, very difficult. malsev is well inside arctic circle. i caught a few fish but nothing like usual orkla. i missed alta this year but my friends said that was same. as i left malsev to drive home the heavens openned but my friends lease expired so i dont know what happenned thereafter. however it was a very good year for game birds in uk so i'm a little ambivalent about global warming!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts