Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
1) Just taking off the coating of the Fly Line
2) Feather the core of the strip fly line 1 inches
3) Using a pin vice & regular sewing needle, push the needle 1 to 1 ½ inches up the core of the fly line and out the side of it.
4) Use UN-WAXED Dental floss (24 inches piece); put the ends of the floss thru the eye of the needle the same way. Then pull both strains of the floss thru the fly line, leave a loop about ¼ inches at the end of the fly line.
5) Put the core of the feathered end into the loop of the floss; then place a business card or a piece of leather on the fly line and pull the floss ends and the core will be pulled thru. Then place the feathered end in a tying vice and pull down so that both pieces are together; separate them again a put a drop of a CA glue between them and pull them together again. Then use a nail clipper and cut the tag end that sticks out the side of the fly line. You’re done with that splice.
6) Making a Dacron (mono) loop, using about 6 inches piece of 50 lbs braded mono and a Cortland Loop tool. Start about 2 inches from the end place the tool into the center of the mono and feed it up the center about 2 inches and out the side of the mono then hook the other end of the mono on the hook of the tool and pull it back, make the loop ¼ (that’s what I like) then with a nail clipper clip the tag of the mono off that is sticking out the side of the mono and the loop is made.

It’s late so tomorrow I’ll check back if there are question

·
Registered
599 Posts
Great Stuff!!

Hi Brian,

Great stuff you are sharing here!!!

Dana, thanks for the clips.

See you at Aaron's Speyfair in October.

Best,

Ray Phelps :smokin:

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Great stuff! What brand is that pinvise Brian? I've only found little ones and they don't hold sewing needles for Shoot!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Philster

General made in USA

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Brian,
I see you finally cleaned your finger nails.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I thought that "Hall Monitor" was far, far, away working on a tan.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Bunch of questions

Allright, great post, now I have a bunch of questions.

1) When the splice is done it looks to me like you are relying on the female (orange in the video) line's coating plus a little CA glue to hold the line together. The cores don't appear to get braided together, or locked down, or anything. Seems like all the stress in this system would be borne by the PVC coating on the line. How does such a system hold together when fighting your big steelhead and salmon?

2) What brand of video camera was used to make the video? I have movies up on The Itinerant Angler but I can't focus that close or get that kind of clarity.

3) I am familiar with the braided loop to loop in the last video. I have been making them for a few years out of Gudebrod braided 50# mono. What is the flourescent yellow material and how strong is it?

4) What kind of clamp tool was Brian using, with the tip that looked like a drill chuck but the grip like a screwdriver?

5) What kind of tool did Brian use to pull the braided loop tag down itself? I use a wire bobbin threader but I have busted half a dozen.

Thanks guys,
Zach

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
1) When the splice is done it looks to me like you are relying on the female (orange in the video) line's coating plus a little CA glue to hold the line together. The cores don't appear to get braided together, or locked down, or anything. Seems like all the stress in this system would be borne by the PVC coating on the line. How does such a system hold together when fighting your big steelhead and salmon?

The core is pulled up into the other core that is where the strength is, there is only a drop of glue put on; you can ask Kush or Dana how strong the connection is

2) What brand of video camera was used to make the video? I have movies up on The Itinerant Angler but I can't focus that close or get that kind of clarity.

You’ll have to ask Dana

3) I am familiar with the braided loop to loop in the last video. I have been making them for a few years out of Gudebrod braided 50# mono. What is the flourescent yellow material and how strong is it?

Cortland Braided Mono 50lbs.

4) What kind of clamp tool was Brian using, with the tip that looked like a drill chuck but the grip like a screwdriver?

It’s a GENERAL Pin Vise, found at most hardware stores

5) What kind of tool did Brian use to pull the braided loop tag down itself? I use a wire bobbin threader but I have busted half a dozen.

It was a Cortland Loop Tool; you can ask your local Cortland Dealer for one

G

·
The technique here is to use acetone to soften the fly line vynal and rip about 8 inches of outer off the core, then using a needle stuff the core up a length of 20 or 35lb braided mono, Gudebrod clear. The core goes right through the braided mono making sure that you pull enough of the line itself into the braided mono to allow a good coverage of the line.. Then you splice the lot, braided mono and core back into the braided mono, trim it off and you have a splice with the core going right round ther loop and back into the splice. Using Loctite 406 CA glue you put a drop on the splice, locking the core to the braided mono and another drop to lock the braided mono to the outer vynal cover. The line stretch, inner and outer can be different so you need to ensure that you lock the core and vynal together to ensure even stretch, which reduces cracking under load. You can finish off the splice using Aquaseal or any flex glue to make it look nice. The splice loop can be as long or short as you like, is very strong, as strong as the line core and very neat. Its very easy to do and lasts a long time.
Cheers Max

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.