Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

New member to this incredible site. I'd like to throw speys someday, but never have. I indicator fish right now with lead shot (almost chuck and duck in some instances) using a 7 wt. 9'6" Scott SAS and this kills my shoulder after a day of doing so on a larger river with wind. At the end of my drift, I basically roll cast a floating line with fly, shot, and indicator carefully back upstream. Enjoy the med-fast taper. Trying to find a solution...

Would a longer rod be easier on my body? Looking at a Scott ARC 1287 7wt. 12'8" or Sage 7136 7wt. 13'6".

In addition, I fish pike from a 14' boat. Throw 6" leaded clousers to many 2-3 lber's, some 5-10 lbers, with a few 12-20 lber's. I use a Teeny 300 and this is my favorite. Roll casting this for control with another person in the boat. This puts a hurt on my shoulder too.

So do you think a longer rod may be what I'm looking for? A big thanks for any reply!

Kachnrelees

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :smokin:

One thing for sure, using two hands on a rod will definitely ease the abuse your shoulder takes. I'm no authority on the Great Lakes steelheading scene, but I'm sure that if you post a similsr question on the Great Lakes board the guys will be full of suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Maybe even considering a 13' 8wt. from Fly Logic, but Sage and Scott seem to have better unconditional warranties. Can't wait to get some more time to spend on the rivers. Certainly want to pick up spey rodding and tying too. I really enjoy tying even more sometimes and the patterns for speying seem like a good challenge.

I'm going to wrestle with choosing a rod but that's the fun of it!

-Kachnrelees

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
kachnrelees

I re injured my old right shoulder/upper bicep area, two years ago in April. The injury has basically eliminated the use of any single handed rod.

Like you, my main fly fishing in N. Ca. /S. Oregon was tossing an indicator up stream with one to three flies with weights up stream. I could no longer do that.

A friend reminded me of an older California Fly Fishing article about using two handed rods for nymphing. The article told about how easy it was to nymph with a Spey Rod. Another friend told me of another older article in another magazine about how effective the two handed rods were while nymphing with an indicator versus a single handed rod. Both articles were correct.

I was advised to buy the 7136. I bought the Orvis LABK and a WindCutter 678 with sinking tips to go with my new 7136. That combo worked great on Putah Creek, and the smaller streams.

However, on the Yuba, I was having to strip and shoot the WC to get to the best areas. That was taking a toll on my shoulder and uper bicep. A guide stopped and advised me to buy the MidSpey 6/7 Floating line and to use the Boles indicators with it or to just let a Fox Pupah drift basically free.

I took that combo to the Yuba and fell in love with it. I could cast all day without shooting lines, and I had an incredible double digit day catching hot and big native trout. That was about 2 years ago. The combo worked even better on Putah Creek than the WC had.

Then, I had an absolute miserable day with the 7136 and the tips trying to Shad fish on the American River. I was not able to pick up the tips and cast. That led me to having a Sage 7141 made. That rod with a MS 7/8 will rip the sinking tips and compensator right up out of the water and cast them out using Simon's Double Spey technique. It is a great rod, however at the end of a 3-4 hours session, I feel the pain.

I put my 7136 in the closet and basically forgot about it until recently. It is back for indicator fishing and dry fly fishing. It is an absolute dream to cast and easier than the 7141.

If you are going to use a rod for indicator fishing and dry fly fishing the 7136 is a great rod with the MS 6/7 floating line.

For casting from a boat, forget the Spey Rods and contact Bob Meiser about his two handed switch rods and the type of Pike fishing you will be doing. I have two of Bob's rods, and I can cast all of a Teeny 200 or 300 with either rod using both hands with no shooting and maybe one false cast from a casting platform in a boat. Then if you hook a big and hot fish, you have the advantage not the fish with these 10'6" switch rods. Bob is an advertiser, and his ads appear in th upper right hand ad location. Just click his icon when his ad appears. Bob will not lead you wrong.

The Spey Rods and Bob's Two Handed Switch rods have added years of great fishing for this old grampa.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Meiser Rods

I Strongly Recommend Mr Misers rods. I have casted quite a few of his rods and found them all great. I have my sights on roberts 13'6" 89, It just fits me, although I am told that he has one in the works that is (as Told buy him) better, hard to believe for me, I dont think he could get the orgional any better......Nate

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Nate Bailey re Bob Meiser's Rods

I have two of Bob's switch rods. Besides being a work of art as my trophy bride calls them, they are a pleasure to fish with.

With those rods, I can fish from a boat, in a float tube/pontoon boat, in smaller streams, on the ocean shore and handle wind on the big rivers that make spey casting hazardous.

I will be using his 7/8 Switch Rod for fishing for Shad very soon. If you try to bring a Spey Rod into a Shad fishing line, you might find that rod shoved up a painful part of your body by the other fishers. I will not hurt my old shoulder, and I will get more actual flies in the water as there will be no false casts and shooting heads used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts