Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

If this is proper for the spey discussion, I would like any and all opinions about lining my 8# Zaxis switch. I should consider myself a neophyte to the spey sport but I am serious about learning. I would like feedback on types of lines particularly used to swing heavier flies for NW fishing rivers. One of the suggested setups was to go with a running line, say Berkley green combined with a Skagit short up to 510 grains. Then, T-11 or MOW tips of 10'.

I do have another rod, an Elkhorn 11' 7-8# set up with a Speydicator line.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Jimbo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lines for 8110

Your listed setup will be good for swinging. Back before they came out with the Skagit Short I bought a 650 27' skagit head and cut it back to about 525 grains. Sweet. Just add 10' of favorite tip material.

HJ

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Some line advice from spey jedi/Sage rep George Cook

Skagit Flight 425 grain can combine with #8 15’ Skagit Floating Tip for Nymph fishing.
• Rio Skagit Short 425
• Rio AFS 7/8;
• Rio Skagit 400 + 15’ tip; Has been the line for all forms of spey (single hand and traditional). Good Overhead
• Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon WF-9-F; Superb, smooth overhead line. Really nice with single hand single spey. A good trout choice. Think of it as the PowerSpey for switch rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts