Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying a spey rod to fool around with. I live in the southeast, so it will mainly be just that . Casting just because it interests me and maybe take one spey trip a year if I really get into it. Would you suggest the 13' in an 8 or maybe a 14' in a 9. For some unknown reason , I am leaning towards the 14'. Just figure this would be a learning stick. What do you guys recommend?
Thank you for any advice:)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
>=))))))->

Folks will need to know your target fish, size of Mr. Fishie, fly size, etc., and etc., to give you a good answer back. And WELCOME to the board; not this is your first post.
fae

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's the whole thing. I live in Florida and flats fish almost exclusively. So, I don't want it for fishing down here. What I do during the week is go to a park and practice my casting. Right now I'm working on my left handed casting. I enjoy casting , so I thought I would buy a cabelas outfit just to try something new and in the process spice up my practice routine. Ultimately, if I used it to fish. I would probably go to the Trinity , since I have a brother up there. Though,I am somewhat of a tackle buff , so if I did take a trip. I am sure I would buy a new rod for it. So all in all this would just be a screwing around rod with a yarn fly on it.
P.S. Since there will be no one in the area to instruct me, would you recommend the Simon tape, Derek Brown, or Mel Kreiger?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Which Tape

I have not viewed the film by Kreiger, the other two are both good with slightly different focus. Derek is the old school, long line approach. Simon is using the shorter RIO heads. If you can get both. If not decide which type of line you are going to use and pick accordingly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Ted.
Looking down the board , I see a lot of good begineer advice . So I should have looked there first. Thanks

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
If you are talking about the Trinity River in N California, it is a relatively small river and the 14-9 wuld be vast overkill for this river. Flies are generally small and lots of folks nymph fish which you can do with a spey rod. Few even use spey rods but I use a scott 12'8" for a 7 line that works well. Not sure I would go that short for starting out though. If you can get something in the 13+ range for a 7 or an 8 you should do well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts