Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone still make them ?? had a bad experience tripping over add-on cleats/screws (broken ribs) want old school felt w/ little carbide tits simms, danner, weinbrenner all use to have the same type sole, all discontinued them.

·
Lip Ripper
337 Posts
The last pair of felts I purchased was last year through Simms. I had to screw in cleats. I haven't seen studded for years.

FWIW, I decided to try rubber soles for the first time this season. I was very skeptical about their performance. To say I was blown away by the Simms G4's would be an understatement. I used them 4 months before I added cleats and didn't have one slip/fall. Now with cleats they are that much better. I am sold.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought a pack of the Korkers screw in cleats for my Simms felt bottoms and they worked great on the slippery rocks. Easy to install with a socket wrench.

I've since then put a tough year of fishing on them and the teeth have ground down. I will either purchase another set or try the Goat Head Sole Spikes, heard they work good as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
little studs

Korkers actually has a felt sole with the short carbide studs preinstalled. i have a pair for my korker chrome boots, but the soles are the same I think on several of their boot lines

i know you didn't ask about the bars, but they also have an aluminum bar-enhanced rubber, and an aluminum bar -enhanced synthetic felt (like brillo pads) sole that i think is awsome.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I use Korker's felt with studs. I have used Klingon with studs and are good but not as good as felt with studs.
Last year I took a heavy fall standing on smooth shale rock out of water with felt & studs. In a microsecond I was in the air and smashed heavily onto my elbow, nearly breaking it.
I guess that's what the good thing about Korkers is - the ability to change soles to dictate situations, but it means you have to lug the soles around with you.
S

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Mike,

My newest wading boots are Simms Headwaters with felt. I added my own studs by purchasing Kold Kutter screws that I read about on this and other forums. A bag of 250 screws cost $29. They are hardened steel, but not carbide, but I can't tell the difference in performance between these and my old Patagonia boots with carbide studded felt.

Sg

·
Registered
200 Posts
those studded felt replacement soles might still be available somewhere if you have pair of boots that need the soles replaced. I done those before and it was not really hard to do.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Might be easier than you think.

those studded felt replacement soles might still be available somewhere if you have pair of boots that need the soles replaced. I done those before and it was not really hard to do.
Many shoe repair shops stock felt bottoms (or can easily access same) and will PROPERLY install same for a few buck. A DIY putting new felts is a total pain where you sit. (Contrary to other folks Opin's.)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Fred, What Mike is looking for is felt/studded boots where the studs are already fixed in the felt and not screwed in.

"does anyone still make them ?? had a bad experience tripping over add-on cleats/screws (broken ribs) want old school felt w/ little carbide tits simms, danner, weinbrenner all use to have the same type sole, all discontinued them. "

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in with the Chotas also! Been using them for a long long time and they have been an awesome product for me. I like the softer style of stud they use as I have tried hard style and they are to slick for my liking. Yes the Chota studs wear but $10 gets you a new set and with a 1/4" drive you can replace them in 15 minutes. I change mine twice a year and feel"very" safe when wading or bush whacking! Also, reasonably priced!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a pack of the Korkers screw in cleats for my Simms felt bottoms and they worked great on the slippery rocks. Easy to install with a socket wrench.

I've since then put a tough year of fishing on them and the teeth have ground down. I will either purchase another set or try the Goat Head Sole Spikes, heard they work good as well.
Just FYI, I screwed Goat Head Sole Spikes into the soles of my Simms Freestone boot felt soles last year and they work great here on the Salmon river, but they do wear down. Doesn't really seem to effect the performance though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts