Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing some mutterings that there might be some very effective stripping basket options for the salty-two hander. Any progress?

Any tips/tricks/suggestions from the battelgrounds of 2-handed overheaders. Any of you Norsemen have anything to add???

Me:

I use a JW Outfitters folding stripping basket that works wonderfully, but is not deep enough for 80' of Airflo braid nor does it have loops or cones (However, I'm sure I could improvise).

Anybody else use water-soaked Amnesia??? I used that recently and really liked it compared to regular amnesia. I soaked for 36 hours...

·
Registered
76 Posts
check out

the orvis for salt it is a hard plastic one with cones this way it will not fold up on you and drag the line across it wile trying to cast i owen one and it works great i usaly use it with a one hander though if you want a size of the basket i can post it any ways good luck and tight lines brownie1013
<'}}}}}>~~~~< :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Try the L.L. Bean stripping basket for $19.50, catalog item #TA47382 . Its an xcellent piece of equipment.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
baskets

I made a few, they all went to crap after a bit. I used the folding one, seemed it want to fold up all the time. I bought the Orvis and had no more problems, holds more running line than I could ever think of shooting. Used it the majority of last summer, still the same as the day I bought it. One thing, is you need to drill drain holes in it. I also replaced the belt on mine with a much stiffer version.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I know there are vastly different opinions on stripping baskets, and I'm 5+ years removed from steady saltwater fishing. Back then, I preferred no holes (tupperware) because I used to wade estuaries deep, causing water to fill the basket from below. I prefer to occasionally dump accumulated water rather than have it enter unwelcomed from below.

curious, are there any properties of a stripping basket would make it suited for a two vs. a single handed rod?

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EEK a mouse

Well...I'm thinking mainly about how to deal with 100' of shooting line. I find that there is no running line that doesn't become a mess in the bottom of my basket at those lengths. 50-60' is no problem...

And I'm talking mostly about using it with a CND Atlantis-type rod...super high line speed.

I'm interested to hear what our Australian friends (MaxG and Uncle Barry) are holding their stuffed bionicBraid in??? You guys usually have great ideas.

And I think Juro once mentioned that he was working on something...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Funny this post should come up. I was just at a fiberglass store and asking questions about making molds. I use the classic Safeway hand basket. I can't buy cones big enough for it without spending a ton of money. So for about the same amount, I going to build a several molds until I have something I like. The basket is huge so I'm glad it wont hold water. The cones need to be deep, about two thirds the depth of said basket, so that they can hold 100 to 150 feet of mono or flat mono. Once I get something done up I'll post. Don't hold your breath, it would seem I have much to learn. Such as LAMINATING, ISOPTHALIC(ISO), COATING, GEL COAT, CASTING, EPOXY RESIN, POLYURETHANE FOAM, CLOTH, MAT, WOVEN ROVING, SURFACE MAT, CLOTH TAPE, MAT TAPE, HARDENER, THIXO PUTTY, CAB-O-SIL, P.V.A., SURFACE AGENT, BODY FILLERS, MICRO BALLOON, MOLD RELEASE WAX, ROLLERS, ACETONE, CHOPPED FIBERS, CLEANERS, COBALT, STYRENE, PIGMENT, BRIGHTENERS, ETC.

I'm baked, but I should be ready for the coho run.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
baked...

As I understand it, being baked may actually be beneficial in this situation.

What about making something with heavy-gauge plastic cups epoxied to a sheet of thin plexiglass???

:smokin:

·
Registered
76 Posts
mattzoid said:
Funny this post should come up. I was just at a fiberglass store and asking questions about making molds. I use the classic Safeway hand basket. I can't buy cones big enough for it without spending a ton of money.

a few words for you vaccum forming plastic if you need to know more contact me brownie1013
<'}}}}}>~~~~< :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
SSPey said:
curious, are there any properties of a stripping basket would make it suited for a two vs. a single handed rod?
The two hander's the guy with the laundry basket on his belt :hihi:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I have used mine with 2 handers with no problems. I can't think of anything myself that would make one better than another, but I have been on the water for every ounce of daylight in the last three days and my head doesn't seem to be working like it usually does, I'll add it to the list of things to think about when I get my head together.

M

·
0 Posts
I use a supermarket shopping basket with tie wraps inserted in the bottom. It was cheap full of holes and not that heavy. I use a rubber Occy Strap to hang it round my waist.
If you look at the numbers you don't really need long running line lengths unless you are casting well over 120 feet. Of course it depends on head length but a standard set up, like you would use on a 9 footer, 10' leader, 30 foot head and 80 feet of running line will get you near 120 feet all of the time.
If you use a longer head, say 45 feet, 9 feet leader , is 54 feet and 80 feet of running line is 134 feet. What this really means that a standard basket that you would use on a 9 footer is quite OK.
The beauty of DH rods in overhead mode is that 100 feet of cast is easy, fast and requires very little effort and that 100 feet is about as far as experts cast 9 footers, others rarely get past 80 feet with a tail wind.
If you give me an Email I'll pass on some running line info.
I am in a running war on DH rods over here, look at www.flylife.com.au in the forum tackle double handers. Pretty interesting, might need some REAL long rod floggers like Bob Meiser to liven things up a touch. Some interesting posts.
A stuffed running line, 50lb Bionic Braid, or any 40/50lb GsP braid without funny coatings, like Gudebrod SST in 44lb stuffed inside 20lb Gudebrod braided mono, measures 0.021 or there abouts. Very hard to measure without compressing the line. It goes very well particularly if you polish it with a good furniture polish, like Mr Sheen. If you have that in the USA.
But I now have a Oz DH rod, a 12' Talon WMD (weapon of mass destruction, vbg) in 7/8. First cast out the front 100 feet without fuss. Head 30 feet 9 foot leader 80 feet of Talon running line 0.021. Was great stuff. Not terribly expensive either. Had it all on a Old Florida LA88 reel. Very nice gear.
My current tally is a 15ft 10/11 USA Talon Madgar, a 12' 4" Loop Blackline in 8/9 and a TFO 12x12 Lefty TiCr plus the 12 foot WMD.
Latest thing in running lines, like Max stuffed is 80lb Power Pro hollow GsP braid, I actually used 120lb, stuffed with 10lb mono. It goes like a rocket is very thin, slick as KY jelly and doesn't get knotted twisted or looped. Very nice stuff and it also measures around that 0.022" figure
I have recently, last 2 months had both lenses replaced in my eyes. Now I can actually see things around me without distortion. So its back to fishing again. Chers have fun Max
Ps must be getting over winter over there, here summer hot very, windy no rain dry as a million year bone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Loops of line in the fingers work great for less than 80 feet. After that, no matter what kind of running line it is, there is a lot of energy needed to pull it out of the water. Once I reduced resistance with a basket, it enabled me to concentrate more on the tip making a straight line path on the forward cast instead of getting line out of the water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts