Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Forrest!!!!

Heritage angling products has some sweet snow runner ..

Trying to show their Silver doctor blue and rust/dark brown in some streamers

Hope you like

D

Attachments

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
If they'll fit, big diameter soda straws work well for storage. Just cut the straws a little longer than the fly, and slide 'em in! Voila!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Beautiful

Hey David,
Beautiful flies as always! A pleasure to look at and I am sure great fish catchers!
Could you please put a full recipe for one or two of these flies?
Thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think it's pretty damn cool when you know exactly who tied a fly without even looking at a username. You're that dude.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Tim..I store these in flat plano boxes..pretty effective and if you stuff enough flies in a box they dont move around a lot lol

These are intended for trout and small mouth bass..range in size from 4-6 inches

General Recipe

Hook or shank

Body:Flat braid
Body HAckle from rear of body: Foxy brush 3" palmered over braid
Wing: Heritage Angling Products Snow Runner
Collars of marabou, Spey hackle and laced hen or Coq d leon
Over Wing :Long Fibres over back..turkey...rhea..ostrich or peacock are all good choices

Instructions :

Tie in a lenth of fur brush and flat braid at rear of shank or hook

wind braid up body followed by large open turns of fur brush, folding back
as you go to 3/4 inch from front..fe extra turns as a collar

Long wing of Snow Runner

Tie in and wrap a few turns of marabou, spey hackle and a guniea or hen feather all as a tight collar over butts of previous step

Long over wing of fibres

D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think it's pretty damn cool when you know exactly who tied a fly without even looking at a username. You're that dude.
I walked in to a friend's house yesterday and saw some shanks on the table instantly I said "awesome you got some of David's shanks!"

You are one guy thats work stands out above the rest, very classy!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just recently started tying on shanks. I find the best way to store them is to use a large boat box (big fly box) with foam inserts. I just take the hook that will be used with the fly and pin the eye of the shank with it into the foam. I use both lazar wire and the old traditional Ed Ward and Scott Howell intruder rig using the short tube with the loop knot pulled inside the tube. Either way you can still pin the eye of the shank to the foam insert with the hook and then rig your hook when you're ready to use it. Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts