Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been reading a lot recently about fishing streamers, im talking the big streamers on a full sink line, sex dungeon and all those type flies.
Now i happen to come across a youtube clip with one of the better known "pioneers" of modern streamer fishing who said words to the effect of 'spey rods are not good tools to fish streameds' ...... a fare call relative to how he fishes streamers ie shorter casts and fishing honey holes basically......

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
But the comment that sorta made me think 'hang on a minute?' was words to the effect of 'when fishing streamers on a spey rod you are simply casting across and down and letting the fly just swing on through a run'......so my question is, does anyone else actively fish a streamer with a spey or switch rod? By that i mean as i swing through a run i impart action via the tip of the rod to quite aggressively twitch the fly, especially as it passes these honey holes.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
It's a matter of type of line, species and distance.

When a streamer is swung like a wet fly, no problem using a two hander and Spey casts.

When the fly is stripped, it's another matter. I'm stripping the fly to give it action most of the time. On the strip, the line is being pulled in to the point that sometimes less than half the head of the line is out of the guides. Striped bass for example, can hit very close in so we can't simply pickup when the head of the line approaches the ideal Spey casting position. We would sometimes miss fish. Same thing for resident trout, smallmouth bass, pike and other species.

Now we're in a position where we can't make a Spey cast with a two hander as so much of the head of the line is in the guides. To improve our situation, it helps to use a shooting head style line with integrated running line as running line loops are a pain for what comes next.

I then begin the Spey cast, usually a Double or Circle and I don't move the fly. Where it ended up on the strip is now my anchor point. I slip line out on the set of the cast, slip more line into the D-Loop, just the same as slipping line on the backcast of a double haul. If I do it right, I have the entire head out when I make my forward cast.

Alternately, just make an overhead cast with the two-hander and then it becomes no different from fishing a single hander.

The only compelling reason for doing all of this though -- is distance. We're fishing big water and we have a lot to cover. Dink and dunk casting streamers is better done with a single hander.

Don't force the use of a switch rod or two hander simply because you have one. There are plenty of fishing situations where the single hander is the better tool for the job

·
Registered
254 Posts
"Dink and dunk casting streamers is better done with a single hander,

Don't force the use of a switch rod or two hander simply because you have one. There are plenty of fishing situations where the single hander is the better tool for the job"

100% agreed

DS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think Peter put it well. There are some places where I do like using a switch rod for actively swimming a streamer through and around boulders and such. Mostly though I find that it can be more limiting than helpful when all is said and done. I don't usually enjoy just letting the streamer drift through the current with no manipulation on my part, so I have gone back to using my single hander more and more when fishing streamers. I would be curious to try fishing a slightly shorter switch rod in the 10' range, and with a different line set up. Getting pretty specialized though for my needs, and hard to justify spending the $$$ on it when a 9'4" 6wt single hander does pretty darn well with streamer fishing for trout.
JB

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Don't force the use of a switch rod or two hander simply because you have one. There are plenty of fishing situations where the single hander is the better tool for the job
I agree with this completely. The first 5 years I spey cast, I didn't use anything else- from 4 wt on up, for conditions appropriate for it, and some not so much. But I finally faced up to still enjoying some of the other opportunities- spinner falls, bass bugging, stripping streamers- and was pleasantly surprised to remember how much I enjoy sh casting too.

All that said, I often work a swung fly- twitching, stripping- when swinging for a lot of things- trout, bass, stripers, steelhead.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Something worth adding: the fly plays a big part in the decision to swing or strip. Some flies look lifeless when swung and need stripping to encourage a strike from a resident trout or bass, while others look good both ways (my Brown Trout Weamer for example).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm kind of interested in what constitutes a streamer?

Is an ESL a streamer?
Are intruders a form of streamer?
Are you talking salt water clouser patterns?

I for my own personal enjoyment tend to "twitch, bump and strip" the fly more in warmer waters or when fishing for certain species of fish..i.e. Pink salmon seem to like a twitch...bulls have hammered the fly when swung and stripped in etc. Steelhead have even done it..

Last couple years I have been doing it almost subconciously year round ... in winter at times, i'll cast the fly across at a 90* angle, let it set up and then strip it through the tail out just to see if something is waiting on it or to maybe move a dour fish...or let it swing and then move it on the dangle in case a fish is following it..Mostly I do it now as I want the fly to seem more "alive" and get it to act like what I think a live creature would be doing if wounded etc.

For me, the beach is one spot i have gone back to the single hander because I do like how it works to strip in and work the fly....the other is small rivers when I like to take out some of Kinneys spiders, bugs, fry patterns and cast out into a seam and then strip it back in for bulls, trout or SRC's...and of course with drys that I want a natural drift on...

I kind of consider all my winter flies to be streamers of some sort and do prefer the spey rod and cast with them...if that helps?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most of my streamer fishing is from a boat and a single hander is the obvious choice there. However, when fishing some larger eastern Washington, Idaho, and MT rivers for rainbows and browns I will often fish a switch or light spey from the shore and throw a sex dungeon, circus peanut, Mr. Creepo, sparkle minnow, etc. I cover water similar to the way I would swinging, but give the fly short strips until the Skagit head is retrieved to the tip of the rod. At that point I will let it swing the rest of the way. I've had good luck with this method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts