·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ah yes, 'a wee dram' would be good.

If you're going to be 'rich,' be 'filthy rich.' Wow!

Now off to fetch some Campbell Town.
:smokin:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
JD Jones-

Many thanks for an interesting "trip" to Scotland. Do you or anyone on this board know what the average number of days fishing the River Spay per salmon landed is?

One brother of the spey I know told me he fished 8 or 9 years before catching a salmon in the River Spey.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bob our Scottish brethern Willie Gun should be

the guru on this one. I can hear the squeek of the waxed tieing thread over in Banff, Scotland as I type.
fae

·
Registered
215 Posts
Malcolm will be able to give you first-hand information, but for some more stuff about the river, look at

http://www.speyfisheryboard.com/

PS, for a good site giving copious information about another of our 'great' rivers, you might like to have a browse of

http://www.fishtweed.co.uk

It lists most of the beats on the Tweed, along with catches and rod numbers for each beat. With reference to Bob's question about fish per rod/day, the best Tweed beats at the best times of year seem to average about 1 fish/rod/day. Allow for the fact that it can easily be rendered unfishable by spates, (much of the catchment is agricultural land so rain brings in a lot of mud), so when the river is in good order it should do rather better than this. Remember too, when doing any sums on rod effort, that there's no fishing in Scotland on Sundays, so there are only 22-23 fishing days per month.

Incidentally, although this is a commercial site aimed at offering lettings, I am suggesting it only as a source of information. I have never used them to book fishing, and it seems unlikely that this posting will generate any bookings for them. On this basis I hope you don't mind if I don't send them the usual email suggesting sponsorship (an excellent principle normally, I think).

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bob Pauli,
What a killer question, the Spey is owned by many different estates and or bodies, some of which are not at all keen on releasing their catch figures. I can give you the figures for Wester Elerchies, I am currently a committee member. We fish from Feb11 to Sept 30 th excluding sundays, no fishing on the sabbeth in Scotland for migratory fish, 34 weeks 6 days a week and 6 anglers 1224 fishing days for an average catch of 200 fish for the last 2 years(worst on record, more later) 6.12 or roughly 1 fish a week. This does not sound good but bear in mind that the early weeks are usually pretty poor, the water is low just now and cold 33/ 34 this week.
In the summer there are often weeks where all six anglers take a fish a day and more all week.

The poor returns have persuaded/ forced the Spey Fishery Board to introduce their catch and return policy and hatchery policy. In days gone by a constant 10 000 fish /year were caught not the poor 6000 of recent years.

look at http://website.lineone.net/~mike_janeleach/fishing_on_speyside.htm

Fishing tommorrow, 17'6" B&W and xlt well it will get the casting going anyway. Fly Willie Gunn what else.

Malcolm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts