Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing the surf this evening, 2 hand overhead casting. Surf really picked up after some time. Decided to call it after getting good and soaked, rod, reel, me, everything. Walking back to the car I was breaking down my rod, I pulled apart the grip section and the middle section, and water came spewing out, a fair amount also. First thing, I'm wondering how the water got in there to begin with. Second, it doesn't seem like this could be a good thing in any way, how can I prevent it. I didn't have the sections apart when I was in the water. After a near drowning from chasing the top two sections down stream the other day, I check them regularly to see if they are lose.

Help.......

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
First, check the tip of the male ferrule on the butt section to see if the plug is still there, and then the end cap/reel seat section. Other than that, you got me big guy!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Tape em from now on to make sure nothing comes apart or gets in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jamey, just wondering what the brand of your rod is? Mine seems to always separate; yet, the mfr. doesn't see any other rods with this problem except mine, they say.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
rod

Its a T+T 1208-3, I don't believe its the current model, I don't keep very up to date on their product line. Although I don't tape my rods, I do expect them to loosen when fishing for an extended time like i had the day it came apart. Especially when doing snake roll after snake roll.

The thing that made me kind of uneasy was the water that came out yesterday.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It seems to me

that the only way to get water in would be through the butt, possibly around the reel seat or at the end of the butt if the cap has any play. I've never heard of anything like that before. I'm curious if anyone on the surf/salt boards has run into that.

Hope you had fun!
Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts