Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing a frame that will accommodate both pictures and flies. I have a Dave McNeese tied Drain's 20, the Skagit Mist that Dec Hogan tied for a Passion for Steelhead, and one of Marty Howard's Sauk Orange speys. I'd like to frame those w/ a selection of my favorite pics from some steelhead trips. Anyone know of a source for a frame like that? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I think to get something you're really happy with it would be worth your time to go to a local picture framer. An independent shop, as opposed to a chain store, should be able to offer you some real expertise.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I agree with the posts....key word "independent".

Be assured "Michaels" will screw it up.
Someone offering any kind of expertise, taste and craft won't be doing it at a minimum wage employer. Some really nice work is done by the framer I use, and the folks working there have been at it as long as I've been painting.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Dang, this look pretty sweet Gary. Best of both worlds- better than most readymade, but not as pricey as custom work.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks...

for the ideas. Gary- those frames might be just the ticket and in my price range. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Somewhere, there is a file showing how to do this using a hidden post (like what guys use to tie tube flies with where a wire loop is passed through the hollow post and looped around the shank of the fly and then pulled tight. You have the post about 3/8" of an inch long, its mounted via a small hole in heavy card stock or something similar. That way the flies look like they are suspended instead of simply poked into a big blob of cork or something just as ugly

·
Registered
879 Posts

Here's what railfish is describing in terms of mounting. I wrote some instructions for someone one. If you want them, PM me your email address and I'll send what I have.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
ahem...

coughikeacough...

and tell them a swede sent you... not a self-respecting carpenter.

-sven aka 2 fish

·
Registered
688 Posts
ok I know this is an old post but in case someone does a search it might come up. I use flytying wire instead of thread, black or what ever colour matches the body and try to hide the post so it isn't seen from the front. I use posts similar to HMH small tube. Here is the link showing how it is done:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/framing/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts