Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fly Tyer/ Guide
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this on the forum but, I have recently run into a great problem. I have way to many materials! I live in a small space and I recently acquired the a mother load of stuff.
Right now most of the materials are in small Rubbermaid bins. I was thinking about building some shelves out of the way for them.
Just looking for some different Ideas and set ups people have going on. Feel free to post a picture where you get it done at the vice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Storing materials

First, wash all the materials in an unscented dish washing LIQUID; dry thoroughly; store some smaller amount in a small z-loc bag with a smaller piece of red cedar wood in the bag. This gets rid of dirt and keeps out or kills the bugs that WILL eat your materials. Store the rest in a bigger z-loc with a 6mil thickness plastic and include another bigger piece of red cedar. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am in a similar boat.

Definitely not the dream set-up, but it works for me...I have a large clear rubermaid (about 3' by 4', 1' deep). Items are sorted into ziplock bags by type (i.e. all marabou into one bag, dubbing into another, polar bear into another, ect.), all within the rubermaid.

When I tie, I choose a pattern, take out the materials, tie a couple up, and then put everything back. It's relatively quick, well organized, and clean.

·
Fly Tyer/ Guide
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I do have some cedar to keep bugs out and I will look into washing the materials. Do you favor and certain brand to wash with?

This is going to take a while. I have about 20 10"x8" bins and about 75 capes to go through.

Steel Machine-I like your method with my limited space. I just need to make sure I put stuff back when I'm done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been struggling with fly tying material storage myself so I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/ADEPTUS-Drawe...88&sr=8-1&keywords=ADEPTUS+Wide+6+Drawer+Roll

I figure zip lock bags, maybe some divider trays and this should do me pretty well. I like the fact that it's on casters so I can wheel it around with my fly tying desk, which I also put on casters. The height works well with the tying desk providing a convenient spot to stage materials currently being used plus room for an adult beverage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If this is commercial type of stuff dont wash it. different if it is fresh off the hoof so to speak. Even then I wouldn't wash it. Instead I would freeze, thaw cycle it a few times and then microwave it and only if its not commercial type stuff. Then store it all in ziplock bags with lots moth balls. I have had infestations in wild and natural fur and feathers but never in any commercial stuff,never in dyed stuff either.Various totes in some sort of shelving system. With some materials in a highboy dresser for the tying area..

·
Registered
895 Posts
Before I got my roll-top desk, I used plastic bins that were made for hanging file folders. You could use legal size one way or letter the other.

Everything was still in baggies, but sorted out and easily identified with the little plastic tabs you can attach to the folders. Worked great for me, and still does, except for the folders hanging in the desk now.

-Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Seriously cool.

I've been struggling with fly tying material storage myself so I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/ADEPTUS-Drawe...88&sr=8-1&keywords=ADEPTUS+Wide+6+Drawer+Roll

I figure zip lock bags, maybe some divider trays and this should do me pretty well. I like the fact that it's on casters so I can wheel it around with my fly tying desk, which I also put on casters. The height works well with the tying desk providing a convenient spot to stage materials currently being used plus room for an adult beverage.
Took one look at the link and I was on Amazon like a shot out of a rifle. Less than seventy bucks delivered.

Fred

·
Registered
328 Posts
Agreed...

Took one look at the link and I was on Amazon like a shot out of a rifle. Less than seventy bucks delivered.

Fred
That's a very nice looking storage setup for the price! Found mine at a craft store for around $40 and really like it(but I still have loads of bins stacked under my desk).

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts

Fred
Oh, Man... I ordered last week and it was $79.99 with free shipping! :mad: I should have waited a week! Glad you guys were able to score a better price! I wonder if I can get a sales commission out of Amazon for this? :chuckle:

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Lots of see-through plastic locking containers -- sterilite, rubbermaid, plano, "really useful box", -- whatever I can scrounge, stacked in like-size piles around the trying bench. If I ever have any sort of pest problem, of whatever phyla, I hope to keep the damage contained.

Gotta wonder how many members are showing this thread to their spouses. :hihi:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really hope that gt05254 is a pro tier or something.... If this is what i have to look forward to my girlfriend is going to absolutely destroy me. I have a rolltop desk that is already bursting. This thread is scary.

·
Fly Tyer/ Guide
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big E- I think we all would like something of that size. Maybe if I throw my mattress on the isle floor it could work. It's all about the sacrifices....

BH those are nice but shipping.. Ouch. I think I may order one of the amazon ones for materials that I use frequently and pack some of the oddball material and duplicates in a large bin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NO Mothballs!!

First use a mild unscented dish washing liquid;
"Then store it all in ziplock bags with lots moth balls." 2) never use moth balls as they are bad for your liver! :mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts