Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a old hardy salmon #1 that has a bit of corrosion around the line guard! The rest of the reel seems to be fine. I thought someone might have some advice on how to get rid of it or stop it?

Brian

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brian,

I seem to remember that these line guides are chrome plated. Therefore, I would polish it with a polishing disc chucked in a variable speed drill or dremel tool loaded with some rouge. This should clean it up and give you a nice, new looking finish on the line guide.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I would use Mothers Alum. & chrome polish.
You can get it at any auto store. I would avoid power buffing until you try hand rubbing first.
I do not know how thick the plating is. It would
be a shame to buff through it.

Kevin

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big K

I'll give that a try, as it could be the line guide that is causing the corrosion on the frame being that it is only in that area.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Brian
If your #1 is one of the "oldies" the line guard is made of nickle silver,it just gains a nice patina.The corrosion is probably on the frame itself,right where the screws are threaded into the frame ,no? If THAT'S the case,it's caused by electrolytic action between the disimilar metals. I'd just gently clean out the "powdered aluminium,use some Locktite,and continue using a very fine reel !!. There are two places on the West coast that CAN fill in the frame,re bore and thread the holes,repaint and restore the reel to perfection.
Cheers
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts