Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at picking up a stonfo transformer vise and interested in any first hand opinions.
Really like the option of the different jaws ranging from regular, streamer and tube.
I don’t love the bulk ones of the base but don’t mind it since it serves a purposes as tool and material holder.
Anyone have any opinions or experience. Do these hold fairly well?

· Registered
384 Posts
Vice is awesome - I've been tying on one for a while (4 or 5 years?) after using a Regal for 25 years. Just wish the base was heavier as I find I can move it around more than I'd like when I'm reefing on the tying material for ties that need tight wraps like some streamers. I tie a lot of tubes and conventional flies so use all three sets of jaws. I give it a 9/10, which would be 10/10 if the base was heavier and grippier to my desk.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vice is awesome - I've been tying on one for a while (4 or 5 years?) after using a Regal for 25 years. Just wish the base was heavier as I find I can move it around more than I'd like when I'm reefing on the tying material for ties that need tight wraps like some streamers. I tie a lot of tubes and conventional flies so use all three sets of jaws. I give it a 9/10, which would be 10/10 if the base was heavier and grippier to my desk.
That’s funny because I read a review elsewhere too that the base wasn’t heavy but you would think it’s heavier than most given the size.

· Registered
222 Posts
I’ve been using one for the last 5 or 6 years. Excellent quality and the expense can be justified if you have need of all three heads. I bolted the vice to my bench so I cannot comment on the stability of the base but it seems much heavier than others I have purchased. The streamer head adjustment screw works loose about every 12 flies. I tie around 3,000 flies/jigs a year and have no failures to report.

· Registered
Vision Beulah Snowbee Stonofo Root River Veniard Hareline
4,625 Posts
Stupidly outrageous have never tied on a more responsive and fit for purpose vice in my life

huge investment but well worth it

36% of in some places reach out to me for more details

· Registered
728 Posts
I just ordered the Transformer, and looking forward to giving it a whirl. $272 plus shipping after Black Friday discount.
Currently using a Renzetti Traveler and HMH Standard. Like the idea of 3 vises in one as I tie a lot of tubes.

· Registered
506 Posts
I currently use the Stonfo Flytec rotary table vise, also mainly for tubes- I use their tapered Tube Fly needles too and they are brill.. I had an issue with the jaws, but the people at Stonfo are easy and very responsive to deal with- all the way away in Italy!, and sorted my issues quickly and smoothly with new free of change jaws. I love my vice and as a consequence I am purchasing more of their stuff as and when I need it.
I got my vise as a long service award form work, if I were purchasing a vise now or indeed could I afford the Transformer I'd jump at the chance of ownership. Pleased as punch with the vise I have that's made by them.
Stonfo as a company have been round quite sometime and I've been using their Coarse Fishing equipment for many years and its all well worth the purchasing offering excellent service.
Yorkie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts