Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at starting to tie tubes and shanks. Just wondering what guys are using for a hook...? Any size or brand favorites out there? As well, what are you guys using for the hook loop on the shanks? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Octopus and SSW's

Gammy octopus and Owner SSWs are my favorite. I personally prefer the Owners but I did have a 2 hooks break on my last trip. One was on the point and other other all the way back at the bend. It is really nice to be able to swap out the hook when it gets chewed up from rocks and you don't have to sacrifice the whole fly.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I like owners cutting point size 4 and 2 w/ straight eye for "old school" style rigging. For old school stinger hook you thread the leader through hook eye then down the shank through a small mono loop tied on the butt of the fly, hook gets attacked directly to leader behind the fly and attached by a small piece of junction tubing. You should use a straight eye trailing hook for this style so the leader applies pressure straight down the shank of the trailing hook.

For stinger hooks attached to flies I use Daiichi intruder hooks size 4 & 2 with up-eye, I use both senyo's intruder wire & 30lb FireLine for my trailing loop, that loop must be snelled over your hook to apply linear pressure against the stinger hook's shank while your fighting a fish. Also make sure your loop is long enough so you can change hooks after wire or FireLine is attached, for size 4 hooks your loop needs to be 1&15/16 inch long to allow hook changes, I can't remember the measurement for size 2 hooks. But it's slightly longer obviously.

Anyway, hope this helps.....good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight. I picked up some mustad drop shot hooks in 2 and 4 today as well as some heavy maxima mono leader material to make the loops. But I may hold off and try out the fireline.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I second the fireline. It holds your hook in place well and doesn't let it flail around eventually wrapping in the fly material. Plus if you're tying sparse Flies with slim bodies it's not bulky like mono or other braids. Good stuff and a spool will last forever

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use fireline on everything that requires flexibility like leeches. I hate a hook that flails around as well and it seems to have just the right amount of rigidity.I also use Beadalon or other wire for my intruders and that works well too.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
X4,,,I really like some of the braids instead of stiffer wire fireline and even power-pro will hold the hook stiff enough so it doesn't drop much when not under tension...ideal of course for flies coming into slower waters ..
tight lines
C

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
X4,,,I really like some of the braids instead of stiffer wire fireline and even power-pro will hold the hook stiff enough so it doesn't drop much when not under tension...ideal of course for flies coming into slower waters ..
tight lines
C
I've wondered if anybody uses power pro, what lb. test do you use? I've also figured power pro was too limp for the task haha. Power pro is considerably cheaper too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I scored a partial spool of Suffix braid in 30lb and it seemed to hold up well. Really appreciate the help guys. Looking forward to washing some of these flies this fall!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I used to use beadalon when I fished those types, stuff is cheap! Under $5 at wal Mart if I remember correctly, always held for me and was really tested in AK... as far as hooks I just kept it simple with gama octopus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts