Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I think of spey fishing I think of rivers with a strong current. Is it done on lakes or wide slow rivers? How about for bass and pike or even muskie? We even have sturgen in this neck of the woods. How many people out there fish around the Lake Superior tribs?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lakes

I fish the UP quite a bit but I dont get over to the NW part of WI that much. There are some great rivers up there for fishing. I dont see a lot of benefit to using a spey rod on a lake for bass pike or muskies? The issue is casting. On a lake your primary type of cast I would see as being the overhead style of casting. Plus on lakes you would be required to impart action by stripping flies as oppsed to rivers where the current provides a lot of that action during the swing! I could see using a two hander such as the CND atlantis series since it was developed for this purpose. Overhead casting as opposed to traditional spey or skagit casting. I just dont know if there is a lot of benfit to this over a standard one handed fly rod?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I strained my rotator cuff last spring and really had trouble with single hand casting. So I used a couple of CND 13' 6/7 Experts for my chironmid fishing in BC's interior lakes. They were awesome.

Now I agree there is no benefit to actual speycasting and I overheaded with them, but they were a treat to fish with. I used regular weight forward lines and 16-30' leaders. The soft progressive Experts were great even with 15-16" fish.

This year I will be using the SpeyTrackers as they are lighter yet. The biggest advantage (besides compensating for the injury) was the ease and distance of casting. Normally while chironomid fishing I don't cast very far (45') and don't bother to stand up and haul etc. The 13' rod doubled that distance with less effort and greatly simplified casting in the ever present wind. I am looking forward to this season!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts