Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called Steve up, and in less than a week he engineered and built a 5 piece rod for longer lines/heads in the 425-490 gr range. Steve is amazing!

The rod is on its way to me and should get here in a couple days. I have a 450 gr Vector XL and a couple of Bridge Tributary heads to try with this rod.

I will report back on my experience with the rod and line combos after a couple of sessions on the river. It's going to be fun!

·
Registered
814 Posts
The rod arrived today, it's a beauty! I'll get it out on Thursday and report back after I spend some quality time with it.
View attachment 405874
Wow, she's a real looker. You really are a luckydog 😜. I have a Flywerks 15'8" for 6wt that Steve made. Incredible casting rod. You owe it to yourself to try a Vector XL on that puppy. Steve can tell you what weight as he did for me. Match made in heaven. Of course, Steve can also make you a custom line or two for that rod. He made a couple for me and they're amazing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the 15.5' rod out this morning. In short, Very happy with this rod in the way it performs and how it looks.

I'm using a 4" Speyco reel, 450 gr Vector XL with 50' head length, and 18' mono leader. I had Steve build me this rod to fish near home, on the Lower Sacramento River. It's pretty big water with a few good swing spots.

The rod has the familiar feel to Bob's MKX spey rods (I have 3). Single speys are effortless. Controlling fly speed and mending line is easy due to the length and strong tip/mid sections of the rod.

I've got a 425 gr Tributary, 450 Aero Head, and 460 gr. Delta II head to try. Might even try my 53' Gaelforce at around 530 gr to see how that works out.

Steve does fantastic work. This was a "one-off" build. He engineered the 5 piece rod from a 4 piece 12.5" blank and added a butt section for equal length rod sections. He had this done in just a matter of days if not hours. I had the rod in hand just over a week from my initial call to him.

I'm going to spend more time with this rod over the coming weeks. Hopefully the cooler temps and rain will improve the actual catching of fish!

·
SOSFlyfisher
65 Posts
I'm super jealous although I'd need something shorter here in the Maritimes as our rivers are quite as large. How was the build experience? Don't want to pry but are these rods as expensive as they seem?

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm super jealous although I'd need something shorter here in the Maritimes as our rivers are quite as large. How was the build experience? Don't want to pry but are these rods as expensive as they seem?

Cheers,

Jim
The build experience was excellent. Steve asked me what I wanted, where I fish, what lines I intend to use, what color theme and grip shape/design I wanted .
I answered these questions and Steve went to work. Couple days later, the rod arrived. A painless experience.

As far as cost, it was much less expensive than a new Sage or Winston spey rod. A great value in my opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update... The rod and I are getting along fine. Had to adjust my casting tempo to the longer rod and lines. I love the feel of Bob's MKX Rods I have and this rod has that familiar feel. Makes sense since this rod is based on similar if not the same MKX blanks.

So far I've used a Ballistic Vector XL 450gr and a 460 gr. Ballistic Launcher. Both lines cast very well with this rod. The short belly Launcher is a very forgiving line while the Vector XL requires a little more precision in setting up the cast.

I've got a 462gr 53' Gaelforce Equalizer on the way. Looking forward to casting this line.

Another observation is that my 4" Bougle is a little light with this rod. The heavier 4" Speyco I have balances much better.

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
286 Posts
Update... The rod and I are getting along fine. Had to adjust my casting tempo to the longer rod and lines. I love the feel of Bob's MKX Rods I have and this rod has that familiar feel. Makes sense since this rod is based on similar if not the same MKX blanks.

So far I've used a Ballistic Vector XL 450gr and a 460 gr. Ballistic Launcher. Both lines cast very well with this rod. The short belly Launcher is a very forgiving line while the Vector XL requires a little more precision in setting up the cast.

I've got a 462gr 53' Gaelforce Equalizer on the way. Looking forward to casting this line.

Another observation is that my 4" Bougle is a little light with this rod. The heavier 4" Speyco I have balances much better.
I just picked up my Meiser Highlander 15ft 7wt.. I had Steve build me a line. He calls it his Far and Fine. It's 47.9 ft at 538gr. Kind of between a Scandi and a Short/Mid Belly. Also have a Gaelforce Equalizer 63 at 662gr.

I'm going to keep following this thread, I'm curious as to which lines you like best on your 15'6 Godshall Build and I'll report back as well.

I really like the look of that composite on the lower handle and upper section

Jer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried out the 7/8 462gr Gaelforce Equalizer. Very easy line to cast, nice loops and great turnover. This is with single speys, serpentine and snake rolls

I've tried 3 different lines, 450gr Vector XL, 480gr Multi-tip Launcher, and the 462gr Gaelforce. All three lines cast very well. For ease of casting and consistency, I pick the Gaelforce with the Launcher a very close second. The Vector throws the prettiest loops and rolls out very nicely but isn't as easy to cast as the other 2 lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts