Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have one of the originals, before Steve sold the company.
It's a very nicely made bag with very high quality materials like all his luggage. I have his expedition bag (still being used since the mid 90's and it's been thrown about), his Holds Everything Tackle bag (I just use as gear storage now), and this wader changing bag.
It's good to have the separation for the wet wading boots below, and also the roll out changing mat, but the compartment at the top is a little small and doesn't fit that much gear. It's not big enough to hold say waders, tackle, lunch etc. I'd use it for a quick trip to the river for trout, and I'm not taking the whole kitchen sink, and definitely not on a trip involving a plane.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I have a Holds Everything bag from the pre sale days. Great bag. The new ones look pretty much the same and I would have no issues with buying one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't see a rod carrier for spey rods on the Steve Abel website. They are hard to find for spey rods. I did eventually get a Fishpond.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have had the Abel wader bag for about 25 years. Great bag and the lower wader compartment holds my spare waders, extra Simms wading shoes and Herculeez wading staff. I also have one of the original Abel reel cases for 5 reels. This is about 25 years old and still going strong. My original Abel 10 reel case was sold about 8 years ago and with sellers remorse I bought a new Abel 10 reel case in 2014. The new case was identical to the old one and I am very pleased. Although, I would like a leader compartment in the cover like the Orvis case has.

Overall, I am very pleased with my Abel luggage.

Regarding rod carriers, I have the Sumo suction cup rod holder and it has been very satisfying. My spey rods have been held securely and the mounts are rock solid attached to my hood and roof. Today, many of the cars have fiberglass hoods and the Sumo suction cup model adapts readily to any hood and roof material. All you have to do is clean the dirt and girt off each surface before mounting.

Doug

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have both a wafer bag and a gear bag. I’m a guide and destroy gear pretty quickly if it’s no good. But the Abel products, like the orginal reels, are bombproof so I would throughly recommend them. I don’t get any discount on the bags and I would buy again
Bazza

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have both the legacy wader bag and Holds Everything bag and I will echo what everyone has said here. I've had both bags for over 20 years and I still use them regularly. They are fantastic bags in terms of functionality and durability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts