Steelhead vs Atlantics

• Steelhead

Votes: 249 65.9%
  • Atlantics

Votes: 129 34.1%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
G

·
I won't get suckered into this one, because anyone who's done a fair amount of both realise there's more variation within each species than there is between them. By that I mean--- Atlantics where? Fishing for them is significantly different between say the Restigouche and the Miramichi, let alone the fish that are in the St. Mary's in Michigan's UP. Fishing for steelhead is completely different between say the Deschutes and the Thompson. And those are both quite a bit different from the fish in the Great Lakes fishery. Even there, the difference between the fish on the Muskegon in Michigan and the Shebogan in Wisconsin is dramatic. I understand that the fish are all taxonomically the same within each species, but for natural fish the individual strains of each have evolved to make fish that are quite different. Some Atlantic salmon and steelhead strains have evolved into being long and lean and others into being short and stocky. So truthfully, there is no way to adequately answer that poll if you have a fair amount of experience with both species in a wide variety of water.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Atlantics vs Steelhead

I agree with JR. Way too many variables to pick one over the other. I just consider myself very fortunate to be able to fish for both.

tom...

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
While i won't pick either,, I will say that i have found steelhead to EXPLODE out of the gate immediately after being hooked and seem to be going 5 different directions at once. An Atlantic, most times, will seem to gather him/herself for a split second and then proceed to kick your ass on that incredible first run and up to 8 or 9 jumps!!!!!. Regardless of which species takes the fly the rush and amazement is the same,,, though the two fish are worlds apart.
Salmon Chaser

Reactions: Steven Baker

·
Wakingflies
56 Posts
east vs west or west vs east

maybe their should have of been a pre qualifier for those of you who voted, that is have you fished for both if not don't vote.

or are you really looking to see how many east boys are there to west.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to tell you the honest truth I was just curious to see for those who have caught the two which they personally favor over the other wasnt meant to get broken down into separate strains of each type of fish .. I myself grew up chasing steelies in B.C and have had not as many as I would like successful trips out to foreign soil's chasing both species. And yes I suppose it could be used to see east coasters vs west coasters, depending if you like to route for the home team or not i guess ..:devil:

·
Administrator
19,701 Posts
Ok , I haven't fished out west yet for Steelhead , and I haven't been out east yet for Atlantics . Like Jamey said , I'm stuck in the middle . I fished for GL's Steelhead on 4 out of the 5 GL's . Fished for Atlantics on the St.Mary's River and on L.Ontario tribs . I find the take of a Steelhead to be fierce and the fight of the Atlantic to be more aerial . Overall , my 'personal' opinion .......... is the Atlantic , and that's the way I voted . It's not a East or West 'thing' .......it's a '' me thing '' !! :razz:

Mike

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
They're both tops

They're both tops in my book. I just wish I had more time to fish 'em. I cannot vote. Now, if you had a poll such as Steelhead vs. Browns, then I'd say Steelhead. If there was a poll for Atlantics (including Landlocked Salmo Salar Sebago) vs. Browns, then I'd pick the Salmon for certain. My only caveat is that I understand the Browns in Lewis Lake, Yellowstone National Park, are pure Lock Levin strain from many years ago. I fish them quite often every October. They're brighter than other browns I've caught and are far more acrobatic, similar to a salmon. These are only my personal preferences and are solely based on my experiences and memories.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Salmon Chaser said:
While i won't pick either,, I will say that i have found steelhead to EXPLODE out of the gate immediately after being hooked and seem to be going 5 different directions at once. An Atlantic, most times, will seem to gather him/herself for a split second and then proceed to kick your ass on that incredible first run and up to 8 or 9 jumps!!!!!. Regardless of which species takes the fly the rush and amazement is the same,,, though the two fish are worlds apart.
Salmon Chaser
You just expressed my thoughts a lot better than I would have.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Atlantics vs Steelies

Having fished both Atlantics and Steelies I find at times they can be very similar and often very different.
As Forest Gump would say each fish is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

For the Poll I selected Steelies, that selection was dictated by my geographical location. Fishing Steelies close to 12 months a year costs me the price of a couple of licences, fishing Atlantics for the most part costs me a daily guides fee.

Ian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amen to that Silverchip.

I didn't vote.
I'm lucky enough to have a third option; I think SEWIN (Sea Run Browns in Wales) could have got them both beat - when they are chrome bright from the sea!!

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Whats tipping the scales in favor of Atlantics [N. America] for me is the atmosphere, plain & simple.

Either fish the fly or stay home :)

Proximity of the rainbows cant be ignored though.

SG

·
Registered
12 Posts
I likes 'em both smoked over charcoal with apple wood and a light honey glaze just minutes before they are done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steelhead!!

Both fish are awesome, But steelhead embody the North American spirit, aggressive, wild, and free. You can fish west coast steelhead in the U.S. with just a fishing license, and you can find them 12 months a year. Dry flies to intruders, they mix it up, just like the people that fish them. They are the greatest fish that swims.

·
Registered
625 Posts
steelhead vs Atlantic's

I have fished for both loads of times but i cant really pick a winner both are great fish to fish for, if steelhead embody the spirit of North America because they are aggresssive, wild and free, we must have them here some where in Scotland.:hihi:
Gordon.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
speyghillie said:
I have fished for both loads of times but i cant really pick a winner both are great fish to fish for, if steelhead embody the spirit of North America because they are aggresssive, wild and free, we must have them here some where in Scotland.:hihi:
Gordon.
Gordon, very excellent!! I was over there with my wife, upstream from Glen Lyon, visiting her great-great-grandfather's homestead. On the way up, we followed the River Lyon. I fell in love with it! Wanted to fish it so badly. However, we were on a tight schedule. Anyway, I want to go back and fish it and the Tay. If I do, I'd be more than happy to doctor-up some Salmon with a red stripe. However, they're absolutely super in their own right.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Steelhead fight hard, fast and jump. Atlantic's fight hard, fast and jump.
while one may fight harder, faster etc. the next fish will be a different fish.

I grew up with Atlantic's, I love the salmon fishing lifestyle, my heart skips a beat when I hook one and the feeling of being at home when fishing "my" salmon rivers is truly a magical one. That's why I choose Atlantic's.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Both are wonderful. Both have Attitude with a capital A!

The crushing take of a fresh Dean steelhead taken on the swing can be positively intimidating; and the multiple jumps of a goliath Gaspe salmon resonating like a Marine World killer whale get one's heart racing instantly.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts