Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from 15 days in Newfoundland. I learned a lot had a great time and even caught a few fish. A few of the differences. The Atlantics are more surface oriented. They will strike a fly on top and as often as not miss it. They like the dead drift. They come out of the water more and much higher. The big ones will take up a spot and stay there for 2 or 3 weeks or longer. I would say there fighting ability is very similar to our native summerrun steelhead of the same size. I only saw two spey rods the whole time. I had the opportunity to give a few casting lessons as they were interested in the spey rod. I only fished the bigger rivers to take advantage of the longer casts. It was a great trip and learned a few tecniques to try on steelhead. I would like to go back again and stay longer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
steelhead tries atlantic salmon

i was very interested to read your newfoundland experiences which confirm much that i have read. i was surprised that you didnt mention the hitch although dead drifting obviously precludes it.were you fishing dry fly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts