Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mrspnwsteel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for books or websites about Steelhead fly fishing in Russia. Does anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check out http://www.wildsalmonrivers.org, the Conservation Angler, which organizes steelhead trips to Kamchatka in the Russian Far East. It was established by Pete Soverel, founder of the Wild Salmon Center and you won't find a better way to experience Russian steelhead!

Mike
Just checked that site out. "Science, Programs, Sponsorship" ???
LMAO
What Russian law/regulation is this program circumventing? Why not a straight up Full Services" Guided week for $10,500?
Can I get a tax receipt?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just checked that site out. "Science, Programs, Sponsorship" ???
LMAO
What Russian law/regulation is this program circumventing? Why not a straight up Full Services" Guided week for $10,500?
Can I get a tax receipt?
What it's circumventing is the fact that steelhead are a Red Listed species in Russia (equivalent to ESA listed in the US). The trips have to operate under a scientific shroud to be "legal".

I think there actually are good things that have come of this though...there is historically a high level of poaching there and the presence helps deter that somewhat I'm sure. I also feel that the angling impacts on the population are probably pretty minimal. They would be doing the data collection anyways...why not charge a bunch of guys with more money than they know what to do with an "access fee" to assist in the collection process?

·
Registered
225 Posts
What it's circumventing is the fact that steelhead are a Red Listed species in Russia (equivalent to ESA listed in the US). The trips have to operate under a scientific shroud to be "legal".

Thanks for that information Sleestak,
Interesting that they are Red Listed when the Kamchatka habit is so pristine. Makes me think that the threats to mykiss on our side of the Pacific apply on that side of the Pacific too. ie; Mixed stock fisheries problem, over fishing, marine as well as inland poaching.
Does this mean that Kamchatka steelhead lore is greater than reality?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for that information Sleestak,
Interesting that they are Red Listed when the Kamchatka habit is so pristine. Makes me think that the threats to mykiss on our side of the Pacific apply on that side of the Pacific too. ie; Mixed stock fisheries problem, over fishing, marine as well as inland poaching.
Does this mean that Kamchatka steelhead lore is greater than reality?
I may be wrong on this, but I believe it was simply the lack of knowledge of what existed there and the strength (or lack thereof) that prompted the choice (uncertain status). Interestingly, the first documentation of the steelhead as a unique species came from Kamchatka sometime in the 1700s I believe.

I think overfishing in nearshore regions is probably a huge concern over there.

Here is a bit of information for your perusal: http://www.pbs.org/edens/kamchatka/bountiful.html

·
mrspnwsteel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for posting all of this information. It is helpful and interesting to read.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Trip information is for 2011...

With the friction between the US and Russia, are these trips still being done?

Mark

Check out http://www.wildsalmonrivers.org, the Conservation Angler, which organizes steelhead trips to Kamchatka in the Russian Far East. It was established by Pete Soverel, founder of the Wild Salmon Center and you won't find a better way to experience Russian steelhead!

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think that this fish in Russia don't have to go. 5-7 kg not more plus we have it in the red book, officially to catch her not the case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts