Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
bought a used Steelfin XFR 4.6 large arbor reel today.
Has anyone long time experiences with this reel?
Thanks.
Stefan

J

·
0 Posts
I've fished one enough to have some opinions. First of all, if you bought it used you need to make sure it has been upgraded. There was a "upgrade kit" sent to registered owners that included some washers that needed to be installed in the clutch mechanism. Contacting Steelfin should help you determine whether yours has this upgrade installed or not. Secondly, be careful with the knurled rim control. Altough Thomas Michael of Steelfin thinks it's easier to use, I burned my fingers big-time while using its rim control on a large bonefish. Finally, its capacity is less than stated. I ended up using 50lb GSP in order to get the backing on it I wanted. On a positive note, it has a terrific retrieve ratio and the drag, like all Steelfins, is exceptionally smooth. One additional concern. Watch your fingers if you try to adjust the drag with a fish on. Like the original Bauers, and others, the drag knob is recessed into the arbor area on the handle side, and can seriously mess up your fingers if care is not taken.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I second less capacity.........

I also bought a XFR 4.6 , mainly because it looks so sexy.

It is a great reel for a WF8 - WF10 line for bonefish etc. For use with spey rods and spey lines like the midspey lines, it might have too less capacity, but for standard WF line it is great. For Scandinavian shooting heads it is great also.

The rim......... hmmmmm I also have my doubts, it is great for control, but I wouldn't try to handle it with a very fast running fish...

Anyway......... GREAT reel, super smooth drag system, but don't try to get 300 backing plus a midspey 9/10 on it........

Cheers, Gerald.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
steelfin XFR 4.6

Thanks for your help.
Got my XFR 4.6 today, looks very nice and solid.
One more question: The brakes works still a little bit even if I l unfasten the brake completely. Is that with your reel as well.
Stefan

J

·
0 Posts
I can't answer that for you because I sold mine over a year ago. I don't remember that it did that, but I may have just forgotten. Perhaps Lowlander can chime in here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
drag XFR 4.6

I have one that is OK, and the other one has what you described.

Since my reels a factory new, I am getting a replacement for that one..............

Maybe it is just some oil, but I didn't take it apart.

I can copy and send the instruction sheets........

CU, Gerald.

M

·
0 Posts
I have one of those, with a smooth rim spool, which I think is necessary. You might ask Thomas for one, just send the other spool back. Or you can try. You could use 30lb Bionic Braid, the latest batches break at 42lb because of the thinner, and more of firbes in the braid, they try to keep the diameter constant to keep the abrasion resistance up with the older 30lb braid.
The steelfin drag, well you can't lock it up, well you can't with mine and it has like zero inertia. Its big, neat and pretty good. Max

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
I visited Thomas Michael from Steelfin last friday. He checked the reel and changed a part to a better fitting one. Great service.
Greetings from germany
Stefan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts