Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to hit pretty hard the last couple weeks bouncing around to a few of my home spots. So far only managed to get a few tugs until this afternoon. I was into my first swing with the full line out and she hit me like a freight train taking line right away. After a short run she turned and headed right for me. The line went slack as I couldn't keep up. After finally picking up all the slack and coming tight again she jumped a couple feet out of the water then took more line. This dance repeated itself another three times until she got upsteam of me a bit about 25 feet away from me and POP, she spit the hook. DANG! I managed a pretty good look at this hen and estimate about 24 inches long.

All well, it's all part of the game. I just stopped for a few minutes to check the line/leader/hook and all good. I looked up, facing down river and just paused to take in the place I was standing. It's amazing to have places like this, especially relatively close to urban centers and only 10 minutes from by bed. I love this time of year. Its also nice to know that I didn't waste a perfectly good chicken and the fly proved worthy of some attention.

Until next time!

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you keep your rod tip facing downriver and to the bank and keep it low like an inch from the water low there will always be tension on the line, unless your in a back eddy.

Some fish are not meant to be caught though!

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
That's the game sometimes Dan, at least you got your pulse up for a while huh? I put in 4 1/2 hours today without a touch.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the game sometimes Dan, at least you got your pulse up for a while huh? I put in 4 1/2 hours today without a touch.
You must be running out of time with the weather up there Ard.

Dan

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
It is better to have been tugged than to have never been tugged ... :chuckle::chuckle:
Great report Dan and thanks for sharing :)
At least you got to hear that old growler sing her grind :smokin:
Very nice photos too ... very fishy fly !!

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is better to have been tugged than to have never been tugged ... :chuckle::chuckle:

Mike
There is nothing else that sounds like an old school gear and pawl singing as your opponent takes off.

Dan

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
There is nothing else that sounds like an old school gear and pawl singing as your opponent takes off.

Dan

Mike
Hell yes!

And, getting everything (terminal-tackle) back is always a good thing too!

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
River Update

Since the original post we had some good rain go through over the week end. Flow have doubled and the water is pretty muddy. If we can keep the flows and get rid of the mud things will be good.

Dan

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts