Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be out skiing on mt Washington so i will be staying in Port Alberni and will have the time to fish this river.
Any advice starting points?Flies?

-Boris

·
Registered
180 Posts
Will be out skiing on mt Washington so i will be staying in Port Alberni and will have the time to fish this river.
Any advice starting points?Flies?

-Boris
Hi Boris
I live here in Port,and the best starting point would be to go the the Port Alberni Gun Club,sign in and take the trail upstream till you come to an old log bridge where a stream comes in,about a 10 min walk,that will be your starting point.or you can either continue upstream to a point we call The Bucket, another 5 min walk,mostly gear guys up there or start fishing downstream back to the gun club,lots of room for a DH. ESLs work great in black and purple or pink resembling the ol'pink worm if you are swinging or ghost shrimp patterns if you are nymphing. Also you can check with the local tackle store called Gone Fishing for the latest reports

Good Luck and stay safe
Vince

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I seriously like this type of answer.

Hi Boris
I live here in Port,and the best starting point would be to go the the Port Alberni Gun Club,sign in and take the trail upstream till you come to an old log bridge where a stream comes in,about a 10 min walk,that will be your starting point.or you can either continue upstream to a point we call The Bucket, another 5 min walk,mostly gear guys up there or start fishing downstream back to the gun club,lots of room for a DH. ESLs work great in black and purple or pink resembling the ol'pink worm if you are swinging or ghost shrimp patterns if you are nymphing. Also you can check with the local tackle store called Gone Fishing for the latest reports

Good Luck and stay safe
Vince
I like this kind of answer. Fellow, a couple of weeks, ago was driving close to 900 miles. Kept him up dated on his cell phone.

As with me, folks coming to the upper Rogue River. I'll tell them every thing I know, just don't know if 'Mr. Fish' will be in front of your boots. But have a good guess, some times I'm right. Chetco River, in SW Oregon, I have to do a bit of checking, but old friends will give me 'information.'

Worst question is "Are you OK to drive yet?"

Worse answer is: "I'm really not sure."

"Then don't."

·
Registered
361 Posts
Staying in Port Alberni seems a bit far from Mt. Washington; most stay in Courtenay. Presume you have friends in Port? Directions above are pretty good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fishing has been super hot this year... I'm mostly a pin chucker and spoon swinger in the winter season, but they can be caught on the fly.

Gun club is very good advice, wide open water that is well covered by spey. One of my favourite areas on the river, which is easily done on the spey, is the anglers trail area in the upper river. It really might be some of the prettiest water I've ever seen. Lots of huge old growth, and about 2 km of perfect speed, 4-6 feet deep, boulder strewn runs.

I'd stick with flies in the 3 inch range. I've recently gotten my buddy away from the large 4+ inch intruders he use to use, and he's been having great success (I do very well with smaller flies rather than larger). Full pink, blue/black, purple/black (with some red).

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Levels?

Anyone have an idea on how the water levels will be tommorow?
With such a big dump here on the mainland i`m scared that it might be blown out.
:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anyone have an idea on how the water levels will be tommorow?
With such a big dump here on the mainland i`m scared that it might be blown out.
:)
It's dumping here now,good chance it will be blown out by tomorrow. FWIW,The Stamp is not a river you want to mess with at high water if you never fished it before,very slippery rocks,logs,stumps getting washed downstream.It's supposed to get worse over the next couple of days.I am hanging my rod up for the next week at least

1 - 10 of 10 Posts