Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my new-used Mk. 2 yesterday, all the way from Murmansk. It's nice....but I can't get it to tighten down on any of my rods. I have no problem with my St. Aidan, however. The St. John foot (not a brass one) is the same length as the St. Aidan's, it appears, but seems to be less thick. I spent a couple of hours trying various tapes and such, but it always had the same problem: A bit of left to right'wobble" when tightened down.

The foot is secure to the reel, so that isn't the issue.

Anybody have a similar issue with a St. John? I could dremel it a bit shorter, so the hoods on the seat would contact a thicker part of the foot, I suppose. It's not a reel for collecting, for sure.

And I could have it replaced.

Anybody experience this with a St. John? I've long wanted on and am now a bit bummed.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I had a reel that did this on the rod I wanted to use it on; I found a small strip cut from a bicycle tyre inner tube stuck to the reel seat with some double sided tape sorted it out for me & didn't compromise the reel's authenticity.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Likewise, I don't recommend altering the reel to fit the seat. Maybe try Rubber Mastic Electric tape (from the home depot.) I had the same issue with a Perfect which I taped on-to the rod using this stuff and without issues until I replaced the seat on the rod. Archuleta's Reel Work's would be the other route. He's done top-notch repairs for me in the past.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have already contacted Bill! And upon close review, I actually think the foot is a very slight bit loose on the frame. I think that might be the wobble, as tiny as it is. Anybody have suggestions to that? Zap-a-gap?

·
Registered
166 Posts
IF you know what you are doing the loose rivet on the foot can be tightened up relatively easily. Most Hardy rivets have a bit of a hollow spot on the end which sometimes work loose.
You will need a flat bar that will fit through the cage. This is to provide support while you do the tapping. I have a piece of 3/4" square stock that works for almost all reels.
Put the bar in a vice and slide the reel on the bar. Take a hammer and a drift pin with a diameter as close as possible to the hole and carefully tap the offenders until they are tight.
I have had one or two reels that required this tightening up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts