Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am just starting in the Spey Fishing world-my question is-I rarely find any information on St. Croix Imperial 14ft 3 piece 9/10 rods-is it because they are not a good choice-I have a opportunity to buy one and now I am concerned that it may be a poor choice-Thank you in advance for any input.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Harley --

If you are refering to the 14' 9-10 St. Croix, it is a nice affordable rod. Do a search on St. Croix and I think you will find quite a bit of feedback.

sinktip

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply sinktip-sorry I forgot to enter the length-but I did edit my post-Regard`s

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey harley...

I will always have a special place in my heart for the St. Croix 14'-9/10 rod. That was my first "factory" spey rod. If you have found one at a good price I would buy it. Line with an 8/9 Delta or 8/9/10 WindCutter and you will be set up just right.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I agree with MJC. The 8/9 Midspey is also a nice line for that rod.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I actually like the mid-length lines better myself but did not mention them because of line capacity issues. With a Delta/WC head length there are more reel choices available, which may or may not be a concern to "harley".

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
St.Croix

Actually I plan to put the line on a J W Young #1540-it is supposed to come with a Cortland 444 9/10 floating spey line-does this sound like it may work-if so I would probably need some tips-any and all help would be appreciated-including some advice on leaders-Thank You-

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
That reel will hold most any spey line except maaybe the biggest long bellies.

Your Cortland 9/10 will work. I fished my St Croix 14'-9/10 rod for a long while with a 9/10/11 WC and thought it worked just fine. It was after I got a little better at casting and a little more educated about spey casting in general that I found the 8/9 to work somewhat better.

For tips I would cut the line @ 15' from the tip and add loops then buy or make whatever sinktips you feel you need. You might also try poly sinking leaders right off the end of your floater before you chop your line. They might serve your purposes just as well as tips.

For a sinktip leader, a couple feet of 20# maxima with a 2' tippet of Maxima in whatever size you like, 10# maybe. For a floating line leader a 15' Airflo or Rio knotless tapered to about 10# will serve you well. If you want to tie your own do a seach in the archives as there are several good formulas. Maxima works very well for tying your own.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
St. Croix 14' 9/10

was my first spay rod. I started with a Windcutter 7/8/9, found adding the Upgrade worked better then fell in love with an XLT 8/9. Very versatile rod.

Rich

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Like others here, that was my first spey rod, and a good choice. As a beginner, needing to feel the rod fully loaded to have confidence in my spey casting, I found that it matched well with an English Skyline WF10F long belly. Your Cortland 9/10 should fit fine. And hang on to that 1540 reel; it's a fine heavy duty performer for larger spey rods and lines.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good rods for the money, the new St Crox spey models should be out soon.

Windcutter 8.9,10 should work well on that rod, over line a little starting out.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
here we go!

i'm going to step up here and make SOMBODY MAD,i'm sure :rolleyes: ,but i hate that midspey 8-9 line on that rod,stinking ruined ME,that's why i'm psycho :eek: i feel to this very day that if i had lined that rod with a wullf triangle 70 ft. head ,tenwt(they've changed the ratings on these,might be a nine now,call the redshed for clarity),,i would have been a happy camper,the midspey made it a slug,i don't know how i kept the rod from blowing into tiny pieces,but i put the mid-spey 8-9 on many rods of various lenghts/ratings and just don't like that line ,but it's all about personal preference,talk to redshed,,he'll help you ;)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
should add

keep the youngs well greased,i mean packed,the pawls will wear badly if you don't,and check for any debris in the grease,i'd think about adding a counterbalance to the spool as well as that's where the wear will occur with the spools,(opposite the handle)otherwise as reliable as a claw hammer,carry on! :hihi:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Hammer...

I can't think of anyone that would be mad at you, unless it's your wife. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys for all the input very much appreciated-any other advice will not go unnoticed--Thanks Again--

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
you picked #1!,,hahahahait's that grey hair,uh,uhmm red!,it's red!,,comes from a bottle now but old `Daisy May'(from the dukes of hazard),is always mad,,that's why i fish!,only safe place is cartwheeling down a riffle neck deep,ask my customers who dare to ride in my drifter!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i think

the 1540 is a bit too big for that rod,a `35' is more suited,(just a narrower lighter version)but,,,those young's are fine and dandy,i have suitcase full of youngs reels :chuckle: ,a cheap version of a Hardy for sure but,feel comfortable knowing thousands of anglers in the u.k have and use them every season :) ,and they sound boss when a good fish is hooked,very sweet sound indeed!,sounds good enough for starting out!,keep us posted huh! ;) :hihi:

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nooksack Mac said:
Like others here, that was my first spey rod, and a good choice. As a beginner, needing to feel the rod fully loaded to have confidence in my spey casting, I found that it matched well with an English Skyline WF10F long belly. Your Cortland 9/10 should fit fine. And hang on to that 1540 reel; it's a fine heavy duty performer for larger spey rods and lines.
Thanks for all the advice-for the cortland 444 9/10 spey floating line-when I got it there was not any tips or leaders-can you give some advice on what to buy-I will be fishing rivers like the Harrison,Veddar and of coarse the Fraser-Thanks -Regard`s harley-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts