Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the St. Croix 13' 7/8 Spey Rod? I am looking for one to buy. I would like to buy one that is brand new or in very good shape with original rod tube. Please let me know what you guys think. You can also contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice rod for the price and the great lakes rivers.I bought one this spring and had a lot of fun with the steelies. Good steelhead rod may be light for the kings, would go with an 8/9 or 9/10 weight for them. Depends on what type of fishing will be doing most of the time with it :) :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Love This Rod!!!!

It is a GREAT dry line rod. I used mine 99.9% of the time last fall. I have used both the 9/10/11 windcutter and the 8/9/10 with it. I would suggest the 8/9/10 for this rod. It isn't the best at throwing sink tips but it does handle Airflow poly-leaders well. The rod is light and I'll agree that a big old Chinook may be a little harder to handle but it is not out of reach. I caught many last fall w/o problems. This rod fits the bill nicely for Great Lakes tributary trout salmon and steelhead. The price is very affordable too. The rod has only been out about a year and so far everyone I know that has tried the rod likes it. You may be better off getting a new one. I think you'll be looking a while for a used one. For more there may be a rod review in the ISC archives that I did about a year ago. If you need more info zip me an e-mail.

[email protected]

Good luck.

Barry

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am thinking about buying the XLT line for it soon. Need to find out where I can buy it and if there is a sink tip model though.

Glad to see other people also have good opinions of this rod so far.

Nice GL steelie rod for sure, king salmon will be tested soon but based on my experience with single handers a 9/10 weight rod is not enough at times.

Would not want to break it on those nasty freight train kings :smokin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
check e-bay

There's a 13' St Croix on the block on e-bay right now that you may want to check out.

Barry

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hal -

Click on the banner for Mark's shop in Welches OR... or else just click here... http://flyfishusa.com

pmflyfisher said:
I am thinking about buying the XLT line for it soon. Need to find out where I can buy it and if there is a sink tip model though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Juro,

I thought that might be the place will check it out.

Hal

·
Registered
16 Posts
I field tested this rod for several weeks when they first introduced it. I enjoyed it and would own one except it's too light for any of the tips I use. I paired it with a Windcutter 7/8/9 and it cast the standard 15' sinktips fine but those tips leave much to be desired in terms of fishing depth. Heavier tips were too much for the rod. An easy and pleasurable rod to cast.

·
Registered
459 Posts
WestMich,

You probably fish the same steelhead waters as I.

You know the ones north of Muskegon.

What weight spey rod and sinking line are you using for steelhead fishing and I assume with the 4 to 6 lb leaders.

PM

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Jmclaren,

Bought this rod for my 15 year old onhis birthday in May. He has wanted a 2-hander for the last 5 years and I figure he's old enough now to take care of it and use it well. I paired it with the 6/7/8 Windcutter for him as he has been using a G.Loomis 9 foot 8 weight I gave him 4 years ago because I wan't using it and figured that even if he broke it ut wouldn't matter since I wasn't using it and my flyfishing wife didn't like the rod (she said it was too fast for her).

Any way, he loves the rod and it works beautifully with the 6/7/8 Windcutter. He hasn't hooked a steelhead yet on it but I'm sure he will before fall is over. If you like a slower rod or want to feel the rod bend and work during casting, the 7/8/9 Windcutter on this St. Crois 13 footer is the way to go. In a year or two I'll get the 6/7 Midspey for my son to use on this rod.

Now my youngest (who will be 11 this Monday 8/12) is bugging us about when he will get a 2-hander like his brother's.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I'm envious of your flyfishing family! My son is into it part-time (viedo games, girls being distractions at his age) but for my wife and daughters it's a suntanning session. The wife has promised to try it in earnest this year, still waiting... she says if I mention is she won't - talk about a dillema! Maybe a trip to the keys in is order some cold winter week...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Juro,

My wife is a Montana girl who was born and raised in Great Falls, Montans. He dad is a golfer and doesn't like fishing. he is 85 and even golfs when it is 30 below zero provided there is not snow on the ground!

My wife always wanted to fly fish from the time she was a little girl because she would see people fly fishing and thought that is was the coolest thing to be able to cast a line with a fly rod and then get a trout as a reward for your efforts. All the while not having to deal with worms or other such things, as her grandfather used to fish with.

She told me this when we were first engaged and I taught her to fly fish on Wolf Creek, a great tributary to the Missouri River in Montana. Her first day out she managed to hook and land a 3 pound brown on a hopper imitation. She was sold on fly fishing for life.

I have a fly fishing father, still very actively fly fishing in Pennsylvania at age 75, who taught me to fly fish at age 5. And I started to tie flies at age 9 when dad bought me a top quality for the time Thompson Model A vise and a Herter's fly tying materials kit and Herter's flytyhing book. The book was used to teach myself how to tie (a very frustrating way to learn, and I don't recommmend it).

I have also been fortunate enough to have been able to meet and spend time with some of the best flysishers and fly tyers in the U.S. starting with Joe Humphreys in a fly fishing class at Penn State in the early 1970's ( it was and still is a bonified phys ed class for credit). I owe a lot to many flyfishers and flytyers and try to help others in kind.

I both know and feel fortunate to have had dad's flyfishing heritage passed down to myself and now to my kids. My 24 year old daughter flyfished until she reached age 11, then her friends convinced her it was not cool for a girl (umm, I mean young woman) to fish. Whe hasn't fished since much to our disappointment. Her husband doesn't fish either, bummer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No fly fishing heritage in my family I learned through a friends father when 12 years old now 42 years later I am still at it. My 3 sons are heavy into sports football and baseball etc.. I am working on the fly fishing with them, looks the youngest one is the best chance, but he is now tied up with football at one the top Illinois puble school programs. I will keep working on him though.

My two brothers only spin fished and most of my other fishing buddies back east.

I have to leave all my stuff with some one though, so thats an objective for me to get at least one of my sons into the sport.

Hal

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey flytyer

flytyer, You ever spend any time on Prickly Pear creek? It's one of my favorite places.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tried the XLT #7/8 on the St. Croix 13'

Went to the casting pond with my St. Croix 13' #7/8 with the only XLT I have which is a #7/8 and was quite surprised to realize I was popping switch casts with the back taper of the line in my upper hand. It was turning over the whole thing, leader, yarn fly and all, with no problem.

Also brought along my old 9140-4 and the XLT #7/8 seemed to marginally overloaded my old Sage 9140 with the back taper in my hand.

It's probably the limit of my skill level as I'm having trouble making consistent casts with either rods when the back taper was outside of the rod tips.

Also brought along the TT#10 70' head and managed to switch cast that one on both rods with the back taper outside the rod tip. The XLT and the TT both turned over beautifully and I think the tip of the XLT seemed more "energetic" coming out of the water from the anchor point than the TT. Maybe it's just the novelty of the XLT for me...

People kept risking their lives coming up to me asking what I was fishing for :hehe:

Andy

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
MJC,

Spent many a day on the Prickly Pear. It is a great little stream. As you know it is one those little gems that it seems only the locals know about and the guides don't take dudes to. Caught many fish in it on caddis imitations.

You ever fish the Little Blackfoot, Flint Creek, Wise River, Thompson River, North Boulder River below the springs, lower Madison below Ennis, that great little public spring creek out of Three Forks (which I will not name), upper Sun River, Highwood Creek, Monitour Creek, Clark's Fork below Superior, or the extreme upper Clark's Fork? These were some of my favorites. And then there is the great white fly hatch on the Jefferson in August and early September. The Missouri was always good to me but the boat hatches and the inconsiderate guides chased me off it until after Labor Day in the late 1980's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts