Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
continued question...

I just thought of another way of describing the problem. Not sure if it will make any difference on anyone's answer...

The video clip of Mitsuru Kaneko titled "beauty2" on this site shows an extremely powerful wedge shaped loop that actually tightens more and more as it moves towards the target. In these instances I'm experiencing, it tightens so much that the line collides with itself. In fact I'd almost bet his cast ended up close to that, but the video stops halfway through. The video is at "Spey Pages > Speypages Subscriber Forums > Dana Sturn's Speypages Video > longline casting" and is called Beauty2.

(I'm not comparing myself to Mitsuru Kaneko. No way I can cast that far or with that long of belly! He's in a different class than I.)

I don't believe my problem is anchor related becasue I get the same problem when casting a single hander overhead. It only happens when I try an extremely abrupt and very high stop in order to cast an extremely tight loop.

Juro -- Can you please explain... "The top half is moving too fast for the loop and bottom half speed..." I always thought, the bottom half of the loop is already spent. Top half moves, turns the corner on the loop, and is then "dead" waiting to fall to the earth. After I typed that last sentence it dawned on me that its not totally dead since it could be shooting somewhere. And in my case, I believe this is always the case. Is that what you mean? I've never tried to reproduce the problem without shooting.

Also Juro -- "Make sure the cast finishes with a strong tight tip "curl". " Does this mean that I'm probably stopping the rod TOO abruptly? I always heard accelerate to a sudden stop. To me, the more acceleration and the more sudden the stop, the better. Maybe not. Curious what you think.

I can't make it to San Fran. Maybe you could do some vids?

My acceleration is pretty smooth so I don't think that's it. Though its possible on my more powerful casts that I'm introducing some "lack of acceleration" somewhere during the power stroke.

Thanks everyone for your input. I look forward to more. Maybe I'll try to get a video of myself doing this sometime.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts