Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I was putting some backing on a new reel and noticed a very annoying sqeek coming from the grips of my 7141. I bought the rod used but it was in almost new condition and I have only been using it for a couple of months 10-14 times max. Its almost like the grip is coming lose as it seems to have a slight movement when twisted with an average grip and twist. Making a few air casts there was that really annoying "squeek" for lack of a better term. It seems to be both the top and bottom grip. Am I just tripping here or is this possible? Anyone else have this problem before? Im thinking of just sending it in and seeing what sage has to say about it. I dont have a warranty card but I think they will warantee it anyway? Any thoughts and help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Yup, it sounds like the 'glue/epoxy' used to put the cork sections on to the butt section are coming loose. I'd give Sage a call, suspect they'll do right by you ... warranty card or not.

Fred

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had this happen to my 7136-4. They fixed it for the obligatory handling fee, now up to $40. Took about 2 weeks.

I just had two rods repaired last week and they were even quicker.

Good luck on this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd be tempted to try any one of a few loctite products... might not recall numbers spot on but 290 and 232 ring a bell (easy wicking products for holding immobile assemblies, great for reel handles/small pawl assembly screws that might not stay set at low torque etc...).

FWIW, loctite now has very small cyanocrylate bottles they'll give away as samples at some manufacturer's booths. Handy size.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Glad to know this has happened to others. Contacted Sage and they got right back to me on it. Have sent the rod in to have them look at it. Guess this will teach me to SLOW DOWN my casting stroke and use a light grip!!!!!!!! :chuckle: Will let you know the outcome. Kevin

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't blame yourself, it sounds like faulty workmanship to me. I've been a loyal Sage customer for over 20 years now but it seems like lately (past 5 years) the quality is slipping a bit. Well in any case hope you're back up in action with a repaired rod real soon.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Don't blame yourself, it sounds like faulty workmanship to me. I've been a loyal Sage customer for over 20 years now but it seems like lately (past 5 years) the quality is slipping a bit. Well in any case hope you're back up in action with a repaired rod real soon.
Exactly.

Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts