Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Boys Here Is The Game Plan

I got a chance this year to do some heavy King Salmon fishing.
Dusted off the Old Bruce and Walker Faulkus No 3 Speycaster and got out the Norwigina Cortland 50ft Intermediate Rocket taper and I was really getting excited.

My partner calls and he is off to some god forsaken place to work on some flying machines and I had no one to go with.
So I took a look at what I was going to fish with and said it is time for the Speybum to buy a new King Salmon Spey Rod.
I fish Kings mostly from a boat and in Tidal inlet of small rivers and a few selected runs of larger rivers.
I used a 13ft 10/11 for years giving great power to play the fish humanly and get back to fishing.

This is the Quest I need a new 13ft some thing for a 10/11ish with enough power to winch a small block Chevy or a 65lb king to the surface and still responsive enough to do a snake roll off the front of a Skiff.
I will be using heads mainly and will be keeping the cast to 65 to 90 feet.
Must be able to turn over large flies (Kush , Ed’s and Sparkey’s style)

Any Ideas

:confused:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Aaron,

If you go up a foot, there is the T&T 1410. A real powerhouse of a rod that would do what you want.

There is also the T&T 1212. I know it is not very good at spey casting; but you can make it do so with a bit of manhandling. And it has more than enough power to lift a big block Chevy, let alone a 65 pound king.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The T & T 1212 seems to be made to order for your application. Remember that it is designed to throw 30' 12-weight heads, so in actuality it is more like a true 10-weight, not a 12. My biggest fish on it are only around 30lbs., but I feel that you will like it's fighting capabilities.

Other options might be: I have heard that Sage used to make a 12' 10/11-weight Euro series rod, but I have never seen one.

I think Talon makes a 13' 10/11, but the 12' 10/11 Cairnton that I had, had a serious flat spot about a third of the way down from the tip.

If it must be 13', RB Meiser has a 13' 10/11 that might be just what you are looking for. It is a new rod and I don't think it is listed on his website, but he is a forum sponser and all-around good guy.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Aaron -

The beach rod prototypes I have are all big king grade fighting machines, but once you said snake roll 90 feet they drop out of the running. They are specifically designed to be short, powerful and overhead cast for distance in tough conditions for big fish.

They are not spey rods. Say you're on a skiff, can you overhead cast?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Aaron,

I can send you one of my new 13 footers you mentioned on Freds post a while back...It could use another test run !

It's a 4 piece for 10/11/12. and it likes the short belly's...It demands to be loaded.

It's been used the past two seasons primarily for beach and estuary Fall Nookies off of the Winchuck, Elks, Six's, and also swinging the Rogue Agness area.....Stripers in the S.F. Bay.

This particular rod just came back from Alaska, and the reports are that it did well on fish in the 30 to 50 pound range, delivering trailer hook prawns with traditional presentations...(Wish I could have been there!)

Pretty serious piece of graphite, with lots of lever to move big fish around in smaller rivers.

Fish's best in the 60 to 80 foot range with classic presentations, and can underhand or overhead quite a bit more if needed.

Mail me if you are interested, and I'll send one out to you for a spin....... No worries

I'd call ya, but I just got back from the dentist and I am even more of a mush mouth then normal !

Bob Meiser

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well

Most of the casting is Speycasting
I will be fishing in Southeast Alaska in the areas where we fish there are very little beaches.
The ambush slots as we call them are just small nooks and inlets.
I use a 13ft for 90% of King Fishing is done from the front of Boston Whaler or a Drift boat.
Need a rod that I can work under trees and has to have a strong butt.

Bob and Juro

When you get a chance send one along of a demo drive.

I would like to try them both I have a sense about these rods that they may just be what the doctor ordered.

Aarpm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go for a Clan Rods 14' from Scotland. Web Link:

http://www.clanrods.com/index.htm

I replaced and B&W with a Clan 5 years ago and have never looked back. The are made from a High Modulus graphite. They have tons of power and strength. I have had no problems with 25LB Atlantic Salmon on the 16 footer. A good friend has taken a few 40 pounders on his 15 foot rod.

The power and fast action make this the easiest spey I have ever cast, even when fishing 3 inch copper and brass tube flies on fast sinking line.

Pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tom -

Either you are unaware of the direct advertising / promotion policy or you do not wish to honor it. I assume the former. Our policy is clearly stated on the top of every board, please read it.

It states that promotion of non-sponsor businesses must be accompanied by an email in your own words to the company, in this case Clan, suggesting sponsorship support for us. You must CC:[email protected] with the original email. If this is not something you want to do, then abstain from posts like the above. It costs you nothing but a little time. It seems you don't mind spending effort promoting the rods, how about promoting this not-for-profit community too?

I have heard great things about Clan rods and it would be an honor to have them as a sponsor in our community. BUT we can not allow this hard-fought resource to become the medium for unauthorized promotion of any business interest, there is a small and equitable price for that privilege and it's called "sponsorship".

Please take the following actions:

- edit your post to remove the direct link

- send an email to Clan, with whom you are clearly affiliated, suggesting sponsorship of the Speypages / Forum, make sure you CC: [email protected]

- honor our policy going forward

If you have any questions on this matter, please ask away! Otherwise I will assume you understand and will honor your free membership in this community with these simple guidelines.

Thanks,
Admin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts