Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few different Spruce Flies, long wing and Matuka style for Sea Run Cuts.

Any input welcome.

Orange object is an eraser to hold fly.

Attachments

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Hi Rodney,

You'll always draw complements from me when you tell me you're going to fish the Spruce, you should be carrying a few Dark Spruce too. It's not like I tie one on every time I go fishing but I do use them and you'll not be disappointed in the results.

Nice tying,

Ard

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ard

Dark Spruce? Black body and black wings?

We have been having some rain here in the PNW sooooooooo.........maybe some fish?

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Since we're alone here :) I'll paste a picture of what I make.

Dark:

Two style of Light;

And while your in the mood for feather wings maybe make up a few that resemble these........

Traditional Nine Three;

Ard's Nine Three;

The Nine Three has been a trout producer for me wherever I have fished, I just jazzed it up to suit myself somewhere in the late 90's. For whatever reason they look a lot like food to all trout including steelhead.

Ard

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ard

I like, I like! Nice variations of the Spruce.

Definitely going to tie some of them up.

Thanks

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Better make a couple Nine Three too Rod :)

If I had a photo of my streamer wallet you would see that there are at least a dozen in there in various stages of having been torn up by fish. Actually I could go on with recommendations at length because I have been a feather wing tier and fisher for many years but........ Any fly along the lines of the Jock O' Dee made on a small hook with long gray hackles seem to be trout magnets also. I don't sweat getting the Dee wings perfect just keep them straight and high enough so they keep the fly on even keel as it swings. They catch rainbow - steelhead - grayling and char here as well as silver salmon. Fish are sometimes pretty much the same so if they look good here they may be good for you. I think they are taken for baby Pink Salmon here because there are a bunch of them in the waters.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great looking spruce flies. I always have one ready to go for searun cuts. It's a great classic fly.

Aaron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts