Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Beautiful trout and river, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tubular Spey

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,665 Posts
Our season opens in a week. Hopefully I can do the same. Going to chase some steelhead first then focus on the the trout after the initial crowd hit.

Nice work there. That area looks beautiful.

Dan

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words gents! I am truly lucky to have that river within 10 min drive from my house. Lots of great swinging water on the Bow and some big Browns and Bows to boost....

Very nice! What ACR are you swinging?
I love my ACR 1173-4. Fun rod....great for throwing streamers as well as soft hackles.

=
Was that black leech thing the top fly of the day ??
Black leech is always a good bet on the Bow...lots of leaches around. The fly of the day, however, was a banana :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will have a blast...Bow can be moody but when its on its great. Either way its a great river for trout spey.

PM me if you need some local info.

Cheers,
SM

·
Registered
461 Posts
Curious. Is the Bow River not usually blown out by end of May, early June?

Are there not better tailwater fisheries to pursue at that time of the year?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spring runoff is usually starts in early June but if there is lots of rain and warm weather it could happen earlier.

Some people continue to fish with big streamers during runoff. Fish are in different locations but good fishing can still be had.

Cheers,
SM

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
The fly shop I'm dealing with for a guide seemed confident there will be decent fishing, but yes, I know iit could blow out. I don't mind fishing streamers all day if required. Will see how it pans out! Will still be better than working…

Had the Oldman been open, I would have tried my luck for bulls I think. Maybe next time...

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Well I had a great time on the Bow! Conditions were limit for fishing with about 2 feet of visibility. We nymphed most of the time and stopped to swing at strategic places. The guide knew his stuff! I was using a 12' 6wt (which is not exactly what I call microspey, but the Bow fish are BIG, and they stll put a good bend in the rod! I caught a few and lost a few. Swinging, lost what I'm pretty sure was a big brown in the 5lbs range; it took out some line before coming unpinned. And landed a nice rainbow (my estimate is around 20'') also on the spey rod. I'm definetly hooked on spey casting for trout. Will have to look into it a bit more seriously, although I don't think a 6wt would be appropriate for the 1-2 lbs fish I have access to back home.

The smoke from the forest fires were brutal. Hope they die down soon!

Cheers

!

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Congratulations SimonD!

Curious. Why did you nymph as opposed to banging the banks with streamers/bucktails?

FWIW, I reckon a 3 wt 2-hander would be perfect for la haute Chaudière and the St-François.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Enso, I think it had to do with the very high water and the guide figured the fish would be hugging the banks. We were drifting only 10 to 15 feet from the bank of the river. We were using a HUGE attractor stonefly nymph and San Juan worm combo. The fish were only hitting the stonefly; he was surprised and though there might be stonefly action going on underneath.

Indeed I was thinking a 3wt or a 4wt switch rod, depending on how stiff the particular model is, would be a good choice. I think by end of year, I'll have to give Bob Meiser a call; he knows his rods and would certainly be able to suggest the best fit for the size of flies I'd use and fish I'd catch. He hasn't steered me wrong so far!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd go with a 3 weight - love my ACR 1173-4, its perfect for the Bow unless it gets really windy... can throw both streamers and soft hackles. This year I am going to try skating stoneflies as well.

Oh if you are looking, check out Anderson custom rods, Gary has the trout spey rods dialed in....

The runoff on the Bow is really unpredictable since the big flood in 2013. They release water from the dams early now in anticipation of the runoff, so its really hit and miss....glad you got into some nice fish though! There are some real trophies lurking about...

Cheers,
SM

·
Registered
461 Posts
Enso, I think it had to do with the very high water and the guide figured the fish would be hugging the banks. We were drifting only 10 to 15 feet from the bank of the river. We were using a HUGE attractor stonefly nymph and San Juan worm combo. The fish were only hitting the stonefly; he was surprised and though there might be stonefly action going on underneath.

Indeed I was thinking a 3wt or a 4wt switch rod, depending on how stiff the particular model is, would be a good choice. I think by end of year, I'll have to give Bob Meiser a call; he knows his rods and would certainly be able to suggest the best fit for the size of flies I'd use and fish I'd catch. He hasn't steered me wrong so far!
For the Bow, it might have been a question of water temperature. By early July, for example, the water should be warmer and the fish more willing to move for the fly.

I mentioned a 3 wt. because one rarely encounters the same wind issues in southern Quebec found on larger western trout flows such as 40 to 60 knot winds blowing straight at you. I recall inter-mountain valley convection air movements in the Gaspé but not in the south.

Incidentally and FWIW, I caught some really nice browns and bows on southern Quebec flows using some rather crazy, exotic flies, example #2-4X long ***** Creeks. :)

Reactions: SimonD

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Thanks for the info. I actually went on the Nicolet this week and brought my Meiser 11' 7wt switch, just to practice (I fell in love all over again for the flex in Bob's rods). I caught 4 or 5 1-2 lbs rainbows on the swing. They actually put some bend in this rod, much to my surprise. Makes me wonder if a 4 or 5 wt would not be more appropriate. Again, a good discussion with Bob Meiser will orient me to what's best. I'll have the try the hautes st. François this year.

Bow river buggers, which I discovered during my trip in Calgary, really got the job done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts