Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pattern that came together when I was initially playing around with dyeing feathers.

Hook: Blue Heron #3
Tail: Red GP crest
Tag: Silever Doctor Blue floss
Butt: dyed crimson ostrich herl
Body: Royal Blue floss
Tinsels: flat silver and flat embossed gold both small
Hackle: dyed Crimson schlappen followed by two turns of Kingfisher Blue
Collar: large dot Guinea dyed fuchsia
Eyes: JC
Wing: Slips of Kingfisher Blue dyed goose shoulder
Veils: Red GP crest

I was after a pattern for Spring fish where there is ample flows but decent vis. Thinking this pattern will look nice swimming through runs with a hit of glacial green - e.g. the Hoh in April

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lovin this tie Tip! I have been chasing this color scheme for a while. Nice to see it done up right. I haven't fish it for steelhead; But I have seen it rock Kings. In the green water to boot! So Hang on Tight!

Thanks Phil

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really really like these original colors, really makes the fly look true and unique! Surely stands out amongst the cleanest in any fly box.

·
Administrator
18,162 Posts
I like the colour scheme Duggan , I think you have a winner here :smokin:
It is tied very nicely and I'm sure it will hunt well for you !!

Interesting how you used the GP crest like horns . I've done crests like this before but tied them in reverse so they flared outwards , just to add some movement on the swing . I do much the same with macaw horns as well , flaring outwards opposed to the traditional method of laying sleek ... looks like a bug's antenna swaying in the current .

My only critique is the density of the hackle . Sometimes schallapen can have thick barbules and be very webby . I would ease up on the amount of wraps by either spacing them more or adding a third rib . The latter would be my preferrence , this way you still have lots of flash between hackle wraps . Just my thoughts my friend :)

Mike

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,

I agree on it being too heavy on the schlappen, particularly the blue. This is an on-going problem for me. I always fight the urge to give one extra turn and in this case, I lost :hihi:

I have another version that is much sparser but the wings and veils didn't turn out very well. Oh well, as Gilda said, It's always something!

Duggan

·
Registered
997 Posts
I got a feeling that would get just creamed in the late spring, The blue and pink should contrast very well even in moderate to heavy-ish glacial till.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Duggan,

Love the blue and red color combo, it reminds me of the fly I tie that I call the LB SPEY (stands for Light Bar Spey in honor of the blue and red lights on a cop car's light bar here in the USA) which is blue and red (blue body, gold oval ribbing, red schlappen hackle, blue mallard (or guinea) throat, scarlet dyed GP saddle wing doubled tied flat with a few strands of Pearlescent Red Krystal Flash under, blue thread head). That said, instead of using the kingfisher blue schlappen and fuchsia guinea as a double throat, I think it would look better if you eliminated both of these and simple tied a throat of dyed kingfisher blue guinea (pearl mallard, teal, or gadwall would work too) as a throat. This would give you the blue color at the front of the fly to complement the blue body and wing while keeping things sparse. I'd also be inclined to use bright red dyed Amhearst tail for horns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts