Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought several of these reels from a friend. Was told they were going out of business and later told Sage bought them. I'm being a bit lazy here, but does anyone know of a source for these spools ? Not trying to circumvent retailers, just find one that has them.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Redington buyout

Actually it was Orvis that bought out Redington. They then proceeded to dump the reels at discounted prices with no warranty. I have seen spools from time to time. These were usually spools that got caught up in the back eddies of tackle shops and were not discounted. I have found it cheaper to buy complete reels,,,,,when you can find them.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
JD,

Although Orvis had bought Redington, the marriage didn't work out and the deal was called off because after the sale Orvis didn't want to continue making Redington rods and was only interested in making the reels so the owner of Redington bought it back from Orvis. However, Orvis would not include the Redington AS and AL reels in the buyback; but since the owner of Redington owned the pattents the reels were based upon, Orvis was not allowed to make the AS or AL reels. That is why the existing stock of the AS and AL reels were sold at closeout prices 2 years ago.

This also meant that neither Redington nor Orvis could have the AS or AL reels manufactured. One owned the patents and the other the manufacturing rights. And since the one with the patents would not allow the one with the manufacturing rights use the patents, and the one with the manufacturing rights would not allow the one with the patents to manufacture them, they were taken out of production.

Now move ahead to last year, and we find that Sage bought Redington for its rods and rod blank making technology.

Therefore, both you and hisgarness are correct. Redington was first sold to Orvis, bought back by the originator of Redington, and then sold once more to Sage last year. Redington has since designed and produced a new reel series so Redington reels are still being manufactured, they are just based on a different design that the AS/AL series reels to avoid the manufacturing rights problem.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Unbelievable

The amount of knowledge to be found on this site.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have Gold Redington Al 13/14, used only one time, for sale.
Fishing exclusively with Danielsson or old Loop/Danielsson I see not point to keep this one.

Salmo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So No Spare Spools Being Built ! ?

Thanks Flytyer,
A amazingly complex web of business BS. Am I safe to assume that I must travel in the "discontinued" venue ? I have four reels w/ spools & reluctant to abandon the search.

flytyer said:
JD,

Redington has since designed and produced a new reel series so Redington reels are still being manufactured, they are just based on a different design that the AS/AL series reels to avoid the manufacturing rights problem.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
hisgarness,

I have several of the Redington AS reels too (2 13/14's and an 11/12) that I think are one of the better reels ever made. Unfortunately, they are discontinued, so extra spools have to be found in shops that have a few of them laying around they need to get rid of, or via folks who have them that want to sell them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reddington Reel Info.

Thank you both, JD & Flytyer. I was still unsure whether the new line of spools might be compatible w/ the older reels. It appears not. I'll try moving to the want add section.

My Regards,

Garry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reddington Spools

From what I understand the reels made while still under Orvis are not compatable with the reels made after the 2 parted ways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Flytyer.
What about ML ? Is it also one of a good reel ever made? 'Couse I have an ability to get ML 11/12, and after your post considered this particular reel as rare one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts