Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First effort at a small westcoast mountain stream witha spey rod proved less than successful. In short, the lack of casting room presented difficulties on this very quiet water and between the rod waving over the holding areas and the line noise on the water, not a single take was to be had in a very 'hot' area.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on how one deals with the situation.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
It's possible to spey cast with very little distruption of the pool, even if it takes a single hander and a light floating line. I am curious, what length / weight / line design were you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spooking steehead

Your point is well taken;
Day one was with a 12 foot spey rod and 8 wt line with sinking tip. Day two was with a (borrowed) single hand rod, about a 6 wt and sinking tips - a very successful day.
However, I am intent upon the two hander. The only conclusion I've reached is to sneak up from a more exteme down-stream angle and use an overhand cast from a greater distance. Also, had a thought of trying single/double haul to cover the extra distance needed.

Attachments

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Beautiful spot! Looks like a pool where a single spey with a light touch (for righties) would serve you well. To prevent commotion on the way back, lift slowly and wait until the current and rod tension lifts the line to the maximum point before sweeping the rod back into the d-loop. If you wait even a 1/2 second too long the slide will drop and the commotion will be noticeable. Too early and you'll tear it up trying to yank the line out. There's a moment of maximum lightness in the lift, get in that groove and it's not only quiet but light as a feather.

Then as you say perhaps keeping the angles to 45-60 degrees to assure a light anchor and finesse stroke with no line stick would be a good way to keep them from seeing you more than anything else. I wouldn't overhand cast, personally but that's just pers. preference.

My guess is mid-length head for the width of the pool, and I would work it without the sinktip myself until totally convinced it's necessary looking at the clarity of the water. Another option would be to have a higher rated extended belly line and fish only the forward part of the taper to keep the presentation very light and fine.

Boy I wish I could just pop into the picture and follow you through!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Nice fish!

Sounds like you are new to spey casting and there is a learning curve there. Once you become better at the casting part the line noise will go away and you will just become more proficient with the long stick.

I know it took me about a year and a half before I really starting hooking good numbers of fish on the spey rod. Once I became comfortable and learned how to use the advantages a two hander will give you (mending being the big one) you will not want to go back to a single hander.

Also even though you can force it some runs just are not well suited to a 12'+ single hander. That is where my meiser 10'6" switch rod comes into play. Lots of fun spey casting on smaller water with the option of fishing single handed if I need to. That water behind you though looks like double handed water to me.

Confidence was also a big part of the equation. I knew how to fish the single hander and thus my presentation was better and I just had more confidence on the water. When you are confident you just fish better as I am sure you know.

As soon as I started feeling this way with the double hander the fish started to come and everyone was happy, well maybe not the fish.:devil:

-sean

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Robert Cochrane re smaller rivers/streams

Sean has the answer here:

"Also even though you can force it some runs just are not well suited to a 12'+ single hander. That is where my meiser 10'6" switch rod comes into play. Lots of fun spey casting on smaller water with the option of fishing single handed if I need to. That water behind you though looks like double handed water to me. "

Robert, call Bob Meiser and talk to him about this stream and other small streams that you fish. His 5/6 or 6/7 Switch Rods (10'6") would be great for that stream. His 5/6 with the WC 5/6 floating line is capable making very delicate casts. Rio now has the WC 5/6 with some sinking tips (less than the other sinking tip lines.) As shallow as that looks, one of Fred Evan's special leaders on the floating WC 5/6 should get you down with a nymph or a floating fly. Bob's rods work well with one handed lines in the smaller streams if the Rio WCers are too tip heavy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
stream location?!

Robert,

Looks fun. . . What stream is this one and the location?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts