Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got another pile of Moluccan crest feathers from my supplier. I have heard people talking about splitting the quills down the center and using both halves. Whats the best way to go about such a task? I would rather not tie with the whole feather as the barb count is pretty high and it makes speys a bit dense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Razor blade

I am not sure how thick the rachis is on these feathers, and how far up to the point of the feather the rachis stays "thick". I use a box cutter w/ a razor blade. You may want to practice of some cheeper "junk" feathers before you start whacking away on the good stuff. Once you get the cut started w/ the razor blade, you should be able to finish it gently w/ your hands....soaking the feather to soften the rachis may help first.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Flytyer told me about stripping these kind of feathers rather than splitting them.

I tie lots of Intruders and found the razor and splitting of the pheasant tail to be the most painstaking part of the whole complicated tie. Rather than split I now strip.

I soak the feathers in water for a few hours (usually overnight) I add a dolllop of hair conditioner to the water - this keeps the feather "stem" flexible after it dries out.

To strip the feather grab it by the tip, with the other hand grasp a few of the fibers and smoothly "peel" towards the butt of the feather. You will get a thin membrane with the fibers attached. I usually do a whole bunch, let them dry on paper towels.

The feathers now wrap easily as hackle and the conditioner keeps ithe membrane from splitting when dry. Since I tried this method I have not been tempted to go back to splitting stems.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The stem is too thin to effectively split. I strip one side as my baggie full of crest feathers shouldn't run dry for the next 30 years. The adventurous can always make a hackle string by spinning the stripped barbs.

William

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
I would rather not tie with the whole feather as the barb count is pretty high and it makes speys a bit dense.
Are you just using this as an excuse to hide behind your Scottish heritages penchant for being cheap?:D
I guess there is some of that in my Irish blood too, as I have been curious about this also :lildevl:
Good question!

PS:How about those Red Wings Bro :mad: At least the early exit frees me to go mousing for those monster browns now!!!

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speybstrd said:
Are you just using this as an excuse to hide behind your Scottish heritages penchant for being cheap?:D
I think your confusing me with the wooden shoe/windmill types:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I sent you a PM on a different site to get your home mailing address as I was going to mail you 1 of the 6 that I got in this batch, maybe I'll have to rethink that:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

I have been using the technique inland described, figure I'll tie in the scraps on the tail of an intruder or something.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Ok, Ok I'll be nice now...

You know I am just giving you some s#!T :hihi:
PM sent.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I use the large size petjean magic tool. Put the feather in and use a thin wire loop to spin the hackle into a hackle brush. Fast and easy and you have built in ribbing.

-sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts