Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've been trying to splice Rio T-14 to standard braided core line. It seems like the monocore is sticking to the coating on the braided core line, but not the core itself. Weird. very weak connection and when it fails the coating stays with the monocore and peels off its own core. I have a long history of splicing braided core lines with no issues. Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Works fine

Brian showed us how to do it. Strip about 2.5 in of the coating off the T-14. Use Dana's directions for Flex zap joints to pull the mono up the core of the braided line with dental floss. Coat the mono with a drop of CA (flex zap or your choice). Pull the mono up quickly to but against the braided line. For security I cover the joint with a braided mono sleve and coat that with AquaFlex. I think the CA would probably do it, but the braided mono over the splice makes it bombproof.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ted, thanks to you and everyone who's sent messages offline.

That's exactly what I've been doing, and have done in the past to splice braided core lines...

I may have found the problem. I borrowed the glue I'm using from my neighbor (big hobby guy) because I didn't have flexible CA glue. I just read the label carefully. Big letters say DRIES IN 5 TO 15 SECONDS, little letters on the back say "maximum strength in 2 to 4 hours". I've been testing after 15 or so minutes. I'll try again and give it some dry time...

Thanks again

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Philster

The CA Glue I use set up fast, in seconds!
And the bottle of CA glue only last about six months at best when open.
You can store it in the fridge, but the life of the glue isn’t long.
And I get it from a hobby shop in town.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to a hobby shop and picked up some new flexible CA glue and it worked first try. I guess the glue you use actually matters! :hihi: Hope it holds well cause I still can't shimmy 50 pound braided mono over the level 13 wt. line I'm splicing the T-14 to :rolleyes:

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Philster

You should match the same weight floating line to the T-14.
I have found that Rio 12 weight weighs with in 1/2 grain of the T-14.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts