Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My past attempts at splicing fly lines has been a disaster. Any tips, hints, techniques that have proved successful for any of you would be appreciated. Any pitfalls to avoid, as well.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
See Dana's

custom line article on the Spey pages. Also, Brian Simonseth does a great job with splicing and with loops. How about telling us what you are trying to accomplish and what you have tried that has not worked.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
A timely question. This very Saturday Dana and I are going to be putting togther a video/photo piece on line splicing and loop making with the Sultan of Splice himself - Brian Simonseth. Stay tuned to see the results after we get it all together.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Looking forward to it.

I already have had the plriviledge of some personal tutoring from Brian, but it will sure help others. Thanks for putting it together.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Another fellow whose a 'wizz' at this is LeRoy Teeple. If you're at the Sandy 'Clave (at least for the past few years) Lee's put on a very good demo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dana,
would it be possible to show a method of forming loops in lines that have a mono core please?
I've just bought a couple of Guideline Power Taper shooting heads which don't come with welded loops so need to add my own and I'd prefer to form them out of the line rather than adding braided loops. Most floating lines seem to have a braided core, but all my sinking lines have a mono core.
The loops shown in this thread and the "Making Loops" thread all appear to be in lines using braided cores.
many thanks,
Nick.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Brian

has a method of making loops in mono cored lines that works very well. It does have a small neat braided loop. he uses it for T-14 tips too.

This should be part of what goes up on the site. The Sandy Clave is another good place to get instruction in the technique.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks,

Thanks, that would be great.
I tries the Field Loop method shown on Dana's newsletter using 14lb Fireline. The fireline bit into the outer case of the line like I expected, but when I put a pen through the loop and put some (admittedly heavy) pressure on it to test it, it stripped the outer from the core and came undone. It would be a shame to lose a whole head in the river or possibly kill a fish needlessly by leaving a line trailing round after it. :(
I am considering stripping the case off the line for a couple of inches and just whip it, or possibly put a finer braided loop onto the exposed core, as this shouldn't be any thicker than the butt end of the head. Any more suggestions anyone?
I think I'll wait to see what Dana, Kush and Brian come up with first though, before I remove any more from the butt end of my new shooting head though!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I do not think it is a good idea to use fireline to make the field loops. That stuff just cuts through everything. Just use mono and you should be pretty happy with the results. I would not use the field loops though for attaching tips, just leaders. Wait to see Simonseths video for that.

-sean

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
over an hour of footage today of the sultan splicing lines. will edit to smaller bites over the next month and post for all to view on the main site along with Brian's commentary.

Speypages: THE place for spey!

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Film at 11:00

Dana said:
over an hour of footage today of the sultan splicing lines. will edit to smaller bites over the next month and post for all to view on the main site along with Brian's commentary.

Speypages: THE place for spey!
You mean Micheal Moore don't you? :hihi:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the hints, help, tips ( pun intended)

Thanks for all the replies. I have up to now just looped pieces together, but have the need to really splice in a piece to an existing line to add length to my 54 ft XLT short head get to the 60 ft test length for the THCI test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts